MiniPixieRay (Out Riding Around)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MiniPixieRay (Lacing up a 3 speed hub)

I think I will put my Nexus 3 Speed hub on this bike, so I laced it up in a 20" rim I just got along with some other parts.

Laced%20up%203%20speed%20hub.jpg

I still need to get the correct length spokes though...

I smell a big stick shift in the wings.

I just noticed that you bolted your "R" dropout to the "L" side. Does that mean he is going to have to pedal backwards? :p

Johnthephotographer said:
Why do you bolt on the dropout extensions to the frame? Is that better than welding it?

Nope not better than welding, but it does leave the frame untouched and if I wanted to put it back to stock configuration I can.

kingfish254 said:
I just noticed that you bolted your "R" dropout to the "L" side. Does that mean he is going to have to pedal backwards? :p

HAHAHA... I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that... :mrgreen: The pieces of of metal I used came from a computer desk and I didn't notice the "R" and "L" until I started to make the second dropout.

Johnthephotographer said:
dracothered said:
Nope not better than welding, but it does leave the frame untouched and if I wanted to put it back to stock configuration I can.
OH... duh John... :oops: Thanks!
No problem hahaha...

Re: MiniPixieRay (3 speed hub laced and mounted)

Ok the MiniPixieRay is back together and rides nice even though it is in 1st gear which is rather low.

Back%20Together.jpg

Took the pedals off, cleaned them up and hit them with some black paint. Looks good if you ask me, let them dry and put the reflectors back on and re-install them.

Pedal%201.jpg

What do you all think about the chain ring, should I just clean it up, paint it black...

chain%20ring%201.jpg

or install one of these?

chain%20ring%202.jpg

Re: MiniPixieRay (Working 3 speed)

You went the right route with a stick shift.
The backwards shifter is because it's a new hub and an old shifter.

Re: MiniPixieRay (Working 3 speed)

kingfish254 said:
You went the right route with a stick shift.
The backwards shifter is because it's a new hub and an old shifter.
Yea that is what I figured also...

Now it needs a few finishing touches and I will call it done.

So since big brother is all apart I took little brother downtown Brighton, MI and went riding around some this weekend. Also took in some sights of a car show and music in the Mill Pond.

Out%20Riding%201.jpg

Out%20Riding%203.jpg

Out%20Riding%204.jpg

Out%20Riding%205.jpg

In front of the Fire House in memory of those Fire Fighters lost during 9/11
Out%20Riding%202.jpg

Music by the Mill Pond
Mill%20Pond%202.jpg

Bridge / Path that runs along the pond through town.
Mill%20Pond%201.jpg

Other than being a little squirrelly at slower speeds and easy to pop the front wheel off the ground it is working good. I do have another front wheel coming that will match better and a different chain ring plus cog also coming. My gear inch setting is great with 36in 1st gear, 48in 2nd gear and 63.8in 3rd gear.

Back