Miss Behavin'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so perhaps I am getting ahead of myself here, but that's how I typically motivate myself. Coming from a motorcycle background, and the fact that my best friend (my 6 y/o son) has quite possibly the coolest mass produced bicycle ever (20" Schwinn Stingray Chopper);

file.php

I think my first build will be a similar design, big enough for me, and call it "Miss Behavin'". I know I am not gonna be breaking any creativity records here, but for my first build i think it is basic enough to get my feet wet, as well as get me comfortable using my welder. I will get more creative as I go.

6681378323_f907295380.jpg

Having done lots of reading, looking at pictures and lurking here, I gathered some information, and ideas. One of which is a DEFINATE will be to use a Harley rear tire on the 16" stingray rim from the smaller stingray.

The front rim will most likely be a 26 inch rim with fat balloon tire. Leather pouch underneath the headlight. A cool mirror on the handlebars....

Add any ideas, warnings, input, whatever. The reason I said I am getting ahead of myself is that I have NONE of the parts, no donor bike, no tubing, nothing. Oh yeah, and no money.... Feel free to send me lots of freebies. :D :oops: :lol: 8)

Rob

Sorry, I am on a mac, and i din't get those options when rolling the cursor over an image. Best I could do is get a link to it.... Someone else who's feeling the love can add the image in the post for me????????? Thanks. Here is the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69904519@N05/6681378323/

Mock it up, a bunch. Make some 2x4 stands and set the wheels, cranks and seat where you think you want them and then sit on it...make sure it's comfortable and you can pedal without hitting your chin with your knees. There's nothing worse than welding something together that looks cool and then you realize it's unridable. Don't ask me how I know... :oops:

Good luck and have fun with it!!! My buddy has a speed boat with this exact name spelling and all!! 8) :mrgreen:

One correction. You will probably need the full size OCC rear 20" rim for the 16" Harley tire.
Follow the link below to my Fugsley build for details.
Also do a search for "OCC" on this site and you will see some other great builds based off of chopped up OCCs.
Good luck!

Ran into my first dead end today.... Reading all of these threads and seeing some incredible builds, I am itching to get started on something... Stopped by my lbs (sounds like I actually know something, huh??), anyways, stopped by and asked if they had any trashed bikes or parts I could grab and they said no.... Oh well, was worth a try.

Stopped by Home Depot today and picked up 3 ten foot sections of EMT conduit. Got one 3/4 inch, one 1 inch and one 1 1/4 inch. Should be enough to keep me busy practicing and dialing in my welder, as well as have enough left over for the build.

And I stopped by the closest Harley dealer to ask for an old tire. No luck, they said they can't legally give away tires. If something were to happen they could be responsible... Bla, bla, bla.

Called another dealer where the GM is a friend of mine, and he will be hooking me up. Just a little further drive, but no biggie.

Make sure you grind/clean off the galvanize coating on the EMT before you start welding the smoke is not good!!!! But have fun and create a master piece! 8) :mrgreen:

BikeBuilders said:
Stopped by Home Depot today and picked up 3 ten foot sections of EMT conduit. Got one 3/4 inch, one 1 inch and one 1 1/4 inch. Should be enough to keep me busy practicing and dialing in my welder, as well as have enough left over for the build.

Throw that stuff away!!!!!
What ever you do don't breath the smoke when you weld it. Have a fan running as you weld on the weld, blowing the smoke away from you. It will smoke alot!!!! The smoke will kill you in no time. Grinding it is a good start but the plating penetrates the whole metal. You won't be able to grind all the plating off...
Go to a local metal shop. Most small towns have one and if you are in a big city there will definitely be one. For the same price as you payed for the conduit you can get tubing that is stronger and won't kill you when you weld it and you will lay a better weld down. Plus conduit is flimsy and will flex and crack.
Take old bikes and cut them up to use the metal tubing.
How many bikes at bikes shops have you seen made out of conduit? There is a reason for that.
No conduit!
dfhsdgh008.jpg

Blue 8)

Dont go to dealers, go to the 'chopper shop, or stop by a bar where the bikers hang; ask if you can buy somebody some beer for a tire too poor for their ride anymore. Once they find out what you are up to (hey, take some pics) you just might have some new buds.
(Biker, '69)

Picked up my donor bike today.... After letting my best friend test ride it, we paid the guy $50 and we were off. The guy even threw in a brand new rear innertube IN THE BOX for free.

bluestingray01.jpg

bluestingray02.jpg

I also picked up a cool HARO bmx for just $10. I remember back in the day when I was a factory bmx racer (many years ago), HARO bikes were the, um, uh, the "shoot". It even came with a kryptonite cable lock WITH key. That was worth $10 alone. After riding it, my best friend liked it so much he's begging me to keep it. It is alot lighter, and faster than his brand new Schwinn Falcon bmx.....

OK, ran into my first experience with what is probably the nastiest stuff in bike building. Slime. I think that's what it's called. Anyways, the rear tire of my donor bike had a flat, so I got a repair kit and decided to patch the tube. No sense using the brand new, in the box tube i got with the bike, since it was just temporary to let my son beat around on it until i start hacking it up.... Plus, it made me feel like I was accomplishing something.

So i took off the rear wheel, got the tube off, and realized there were several patches in the tube. Two of which were covered with duct tape. NICE. Both of them were leaking. So, i remove the old patch work, roughed up the area, put new patches, and aired it up to test again. Then I noticed it felt like there was water in the rim. Being that I don't have a valve stem remover, my only choice was to make another hole in the tube to drain the water. Remember, it's only temporary until i get the harley tire.

So I made another hole in the tube and soon realized it wasn't water. It was some green, nasty, gooey, slimey crap..... And it took like 20 minutes to get it all out. Finally, got it all out, patched the new hole I made, and aired it back up a little to check for leaks. Seemed fine. I put the rear wheel and tire all back together, back on the bike. Started airing it up and one of the "piece of shcrap" glueless patches from walmart popped... So, about two hours into messing with this old tube, I finally said "that's it", and used my new tube.

Anyways, below are a couple of pics. One is of the basic plan for the bike, and the other is of the parts I am gonna need. Any contributions greatly appreciated.

theplan.jpg

partsneeded.jpg

Back