Modded Schwinn Cruiser 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Greetings from Finland.

This is my first post and first build.

I work at a bikeshop (luckily) and one day I noticed a new bike in the used-4-sale-row. As I have, for some years, wanted some kind of cool roller and I had some parts lying around, I decided to give this frame a try.

The original bike was a Schwinn Cruiser 7, completely original except for the rear tire. I tore the whole thing to pieces and got rid of all extra parts, attached and welded, meaning cantis, wire cover holders, mudguard attachments and everything. I wanted a smooth and clean looking bike.

I ditched the original rear hub and laced an old coaster brake singlespeed Favorit using the original spokes to the old rim. The front wheel is original, both front and rear hubs are fully maintaned, of course.

After this I sanded the whole frame and fork, washed them and sprayed primer, then matte black. The rims got the same treatment and red colour. I had the the tires from another project, they are Schwalbe Big Apple 26 x 2,25 with fresh inner tubes and rim tapes.

Next, I bought the USF to british-BB-adapter from an old friend since the original bearings were completely worn out from to lack of maintenance, inserted an 110mm new bb and a set of new cranks with some old pedals. The new cranks have a fixed 38t chainring and the new rear cog is 18t. That gives me a really light gearing, no local uphill is too steep.

And the handlebar...well, I wanted something different from the original, so the same old friend sold me an original "Helkama Jopo Rodeo" -semi-apehanger. Originally offered as stock on a finnish youth's bike, this seemed to be the one with it's generous backswep and rise.

The saddle is original too, it's going to be replaced with some older leather saddle as soon as I find something useful.
Also the seatpost will be replaced or modified as I need something more "bent-backwards" to feel comfy.

Then, in two short evenings I assembled the whole thing with the above mentioned parts + new grips (going to replace with leather straps) and a front light with some old holder:

9264759014_e6bdfec90d_c.jpg

9261977325_9ff6abb035_c.jpg

A big thank you goes to Mika and Rasse. You know who you are.

Over and out for now, YS, Sir Richard.

Thank you Junknutz!

Sorry, forgot to mention. I'm planning on making the front and rear light functional by converting to led.
Actually, only the space needed for the battery is a slight problem. Maybe I'll be able to hide the required power in the lamp itself?
We'll see, but one way or another this is going to end up a clean custom build with no extras.
If you're wondering; yes, the bike has no rear light in the pics but there'll be one near the rear hub, left side.

Latest posts

Back