Mohwak Trike Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strarted out with what i thought was a Worksman trike that I bought on Craigslist:
1mohawkoriginal.jpg

Day 1: I snapped the rear axle so I got on the phone with Worksman Cycles in Queens, NY. After much debate and sending pics back and forth I learned that the trike I bought was actually a Mohawk Tricycle and not a Worksman but luckily for me, most (if not all) Worksman parts will fit this bike. So I completely stripped the bike before heading to Queens:
3mohawkstripped.jpg

So ordered up a new axle, new pillow block bushings and decided the frame wasn't long enough so i stretched it a bit out back:
4mohawkextensionmockup.jpg

Stretched and welded:
5mohawkweldedrearend.jpg

Decided it would look cool and stop a little better if I added a disc brake to the rear. Fabbed up and welded a bracket to the frame to hold the rear caliper and had a buddy machine me a hub for the disk to go on the rear axle.
6mohawkrearendbeforepaint.jpg

There were thoughts of motorizing this thing so I also had a hub machined for the sprocket, thats the other hub you see in the picture above. After building the motor, I realized it was much to fast for the trike, so we'll scratch the motor idea for now!

Mock up was compete, ordered new Super Fat wheels for front and back along with some new rubber, new bars, new crank, Brooks seat and tool bag, modified seat post and sent it to my buddies autobody for a few coats of Black. Anyway, after a few months of waiting for the rear rims to come from accross the globe, i finally got it together this am:
7finished.jpg

There are plans of putting a removal diamond plate platform on the back of the frame, just to excited to cruise this thing, platform will have to wait!

NICE TRIKE.!!!! I have a one of them universal trike rearends and now I want to build a trike now. Now I know why I want one.. I like the rear setup, nicely built. 8)

My thoughts exactly. That's why I decided to make it removable. I will post pics as soon as I complete it.

That is a really cool trike man! 8) 8) I would think having a disc brake would be a really good Idea. The stretch looks awesome and the wide rear rims bring it together.

I've got questions about trike drivetrains in general. When using a geared hub that normally has a brake arm, how do you put a cog on that side? Like a three speed or two speed. Or even on a regular three speed hub that doesn't have a brake arm? Sorry to crowd in on your thread, are there other trike specific threads or topics? I never know the best place to ask questions.

Thanks

jackdaw said:
That is a really cool trike man! 8) 8) I would think having a disc brake would be a really good Idea. The stretch looks awesome and the wide rear rims bring it together.

I've got questions about trike drivetrains in general. When using a geared hub that normally has a brake arm, how do you put a cog on that side? Like a three speed or two speed. Or even on a regular three speed hub that doesn't have a brake arm? Sorry to crowd in on your thread, are there other trike specific threads or topics? I never know the best place to ask questions.

Thanks

I didnt mess with my hub at all, other than cleaning the grime off of it. My set up seems pretty old and it is set up where the two sprockets on the hub are on opposite sides of the hub with the brake arm on the side opposite of the cog for the crank's chain closer to the cog that goes to the axle. Take a look at the pics of the two trike drivetrain setups at http://www.choppersus.com/store/categor ... its-Parts/. One is a 3 speed and one is a one speed, both with the cogs next to each other and the brake arm on the opposite side of the hub. Not sure of the benefits though, new to building bikes/trikes and this being my first.

man i iwsh i could have put a hub on mine. or that it could be as nice as yours! looks fantastic!!

Wow! That's a sweet trike! My favorite so far. That's what I'll be trying to do when I build one. Awesome! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This makes me want to do something with my trike parts, wow, looks great! How about a platform to go over the back that is made of expanded steel? Then you could see everything through it, but still use it to haul a cooler or something.

See if you can find some steel grating to see through.
I love this trike. I think I have all of the parts that I need to make my chopper trike.
Including two white wall Harley tires to go on the OCC rims and a few choices of vintage metal coolers for the back as well.

Great fab work on your trike!!!!!!

MO FATTA MO BETTA!!!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words.

I have a few options/ideas for the platform in the back. I have a nice piece of aluminum diamond plate which I have already made a frame and removable legs for or I also have a bunch of steel grating that I could out into the frame. Trike is already quite heavy so leaning toward the aluminum. Not sure if u could tell in the pics but I put (4) 1/2" holes in the trikes frame to mount the removable legs to. I hope to have it 100% next week, I'll post up pics when it's complete.

OK, I have a question, if you adjust the hub to tighten crank chain tension, don't you lose tension on the axle side? :?

e7f64f48.jpg

The holes in the frame are slotted for this reason, so I can slide the axle blocks forward or backwards as needed.
5mohawkweldedrearend.jpg

Latest posts

Back