Monark springer ?s

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this Monark springer in the mail yesterday.

I have a few questions about it...

Is this steerer tube bent or is this how it was originally shaped?

IMG_6249_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

Next to another fork for comparisson.

IMG_6270.jpg

If this is bent is this going to be a problem to use?

Thanks, Jay

she looks bent to me. i dont know how much it would affect it though, but im sure someone who does will reply. and when they do, maybe let us know if this is a common thing to look for on these forks. by the way, i believe we have the same wedding band. mine bends and crushes around my finger easily, so be carefull.

I thought it looked bent. Would have been nice to have the seller mention that... :roll:
Regardless, it's mine now, I got it for a good price and I'm going to make it work.

I've already researched options for replacing the tube but if there's a chance of straightening the existing tube I'd like to try that first.
I have access to an oxy/acetelyne torch at my work. Would it be possible to heat it up and very slowly, carefully, gradually try to bend it back to a more straight position? Any tips for doing this? I was wondering about heating it up and gradually working a rigid pipe similar to the internal diameter down into the tube.

How about any other options or thoughts?

I'm guessing it was on a chop with hella rake...the kind that snaps off the forks on the repops.
Yeah,def put the hardware on the stem before you try to restore it,or it will egg-shape the pipe.

i had a set bent worse than that and i heated em up and bent em back ....had 2 do some fine tuning with the flapper wheel 2 get the bearing race back on there but it worked ...just bend slow should work !!!! did u buy them off here ? id b sayin something 2 someone if ya did !!! u r rite would have been nice 2 know they were bent ...MIKE

I emailed with the seller. It sounds like I'll be returning this one.
Thanks for all of the advice, guys.

The search for a good front fork continues...

Yeah, I asked the seller if the main fork legs were bent and he said it was his camera.

The steerer tube being bent is unaccpetable, even at the price you paid. Sorry Jay.

Latest posts

Back