money pit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
please feel free to show us your latest waste of time and money
i'll start the ball rolling
miz mericaz here
24" wheels and tires with grinding rear hub free
repro lucky seven sprocket $10
rider bars $15
prewar grips with tear free
junk stem free
girls frame $12
seatpost $10
clamp $10
seat $10
26"fork umbent buy bike slam $10
pedals $10
who's gonna ride this POS let alone pay $80 for it?
even if i rattle can it and fix the stem. i see Ms. mini van loading up a *new* walmart bike rather than letting her bratz ride this *classic *
quickanddirty2.jpg

adds up fast doesn't it? :D
if it's what you want it to be, just consider there are a lot more expensive hobbies out there!

I don't want to add up my RRBO#7 bike parts. :D :shock: :(

You are so right about crazy ninni van lady but what she don't know is that $88.00 bicycle will not make it past the first week of summer vac.

I was trying to make a sociable tandem a couple of years ago. It was even going to turn ice cream for me! I think its going to morph in a Morgan 3 wheel thing-a-ma-jig.
Tandem_Steamer-Model.png

Tandem_Steamer-Model2.png

Tandem_Warrior-Model.jpg

$50 - Steel
$72 - Spokes
$100 - Walmart MTB
$10- Tube
$30 - Tires
$40 - Rims
$70 - 20mm 48h disc brake hubs
$15 - huge RH 20mm Bolt
$30 - huge LH 20mm Bolt
$60- two disc brakes
$40- In fancy upholstery
$10 - In tufted seat buttons
$100 -in the right size pillow blocks
$40 -3/4 OD Hardened Aluminum Axle
$20 - bullet lights
$8 -plywood
$15 - foam padding
$50 - antique ice cream maker
$who knows how much in bolts, washers, grinding discs.

Total probably around $775. (Learning experiences are expensive) :oops:

As far as the antique recumbent build goes...... :|
$400 x-53 no headlight, chain guard, reflector
$525 x-53 no headlight, reflector
$610 x-53 no rear reflector
$100 x-53 repop headlight top
$30 Delta Rocket ray
$90 2 Felt Thick Bricks and tubes

Need to buy still: :shock:
$ 650 for two 4 cycle motors sets
$ materials for seats
$1050 for two 36v 15ah geared hub motor systems
$300 for three more x-53 headlights
$100 for one more x-53 springer fork

(Don't tell the girlfriend about this.... She would probably rather have a ring instead.:!: )

seems like i have a million bike projects going at once, but this is the last one i spent a bit of money on

bikes006.jpg

brought an exercise bike for $12 to get the seat. made a springer seat out of it. the parts to make it i had already. just got another exercise bike with the same seat (except in black) for $10, but i haven't decided what bike to use it on. i nearly spent a much larger chunk for a 2 speed wheel, but lost the auction.

the bike it's self i've had a few years so i don't remember the cost. probaly bettween $30-40.
extra tubing to stretch it free
front wheel off the treasure (ok, junk) pile
front tire i think $10 (bike shop had a couple sitting around. wish i could get a few more at that price)
exra chain either free or from walmart. don't remember
big handle bars were in the $35 range, off ebay.
tool bag $10-15 hand me down from another project.
water bottle holder and handlebar clamp about $4

so $115-ish right now. at least another $100-150 unless i get lucky, to get it where i want it (man, this adding up stuff kinda sucks)

part of a group of bikes i made for other people, but ended up still having most of them so i keep fooling with them. this one i decided to keep as simple as possible (the k.i.s.s. project), so i want a springer front, a two speed wheel and paint it, and i'll call it done.

If you are in it for the money never build up girl's bikes unless they are in mint condition and only needs tires or something cheap. I have never had very good luck with girl's bikes or kids bikes other than name brand BMX. I have very few bikes that have been money pits because I never buy parts and I trade all the time and part out bikes so I always have stuff laying around to build.

I did however help my uncle build his car that was a money pit. Car was $10,000 in project form ('49 Mercury) Paint job was nearly $5,000 in materials alone, Engine about $8,000, re-chrome $2,000, interior $5,000, bodywork and sheet metal $4,000, tires and wheels $3,000, having new glass cut For the chopped top $1,000, air ride $4,000 plus $500 for the installation, transmission $3,000, powder coating $1,000, the list goes on and on but I'll stop here before I embarrass people. And most of that is having friends in the industry and getting things done cheaper.

Thing is if you wanted to get your money back out of your bike part it out. Easy $50 for the wheel set, $20 for the nanner seat and sissy bar, $20 for the handlebars, already in some profit and that's selling stuff cheap.

outskirtscustoms said:
I did however help my uncle build his car that was a money pit. Car was $10,000 in project form ('49 Mercury) Paint job was nearly $5,000 in materials alone, Engine about $8,000, re-chrome $2,000, interior $5,000, bodywork and sheet metal $4,000, tires and wheels $3,000, having new glass cut For the chopped top $1,000, air ride $4,000 plus $500 for the installation, transmission $3,000, powder coating $1,000, the list goes on and on but I'll stop here before I embarrass people. And most of that is having friends in the industry and getting things done cheaper.

This certainly puts the term 'money pit' in perspective....bikes are such a less expensive alternative and make for an affordable hobby. :D

sleepy said:
outskirtscustoms said:

This certainly puts the term 'money pit' in perspective....bikes are such a less expensive alternative and make for an affordable hobby. :D
Yes they do. I will say in his defense the car was an AWESOME ride but with that kind of cash and hours dumped into it it better be.

I look forward to my first bike money pit. I currently have an antique tractor I inherited, and that is a money pit which I will not be able to get the cash back. The worst part is that I don't really have a use for it when I'm done. But... it's history, and I just can't see getting rid of it right now.

CRASH said:
I look forward to my first bike money pit. I currently have an antique tractor I inherited, and that is a money pit which I will not be able to get the cash back. The worst part is that I don't really have a use for it when I'm done. But... it's history, and I just can't see getting rid of it right now.
Nice, What kind of tractor? One of the first things I ever drove was an International Super M, I think I was about 10 at the time.

CRASH said:
1944 Farmall H. I have about the same memories of driving a Farmall M when I was about that age. That's why I have this thing.

Want to trade it for a bike? Shipping will be up to you. :lol:
If it runs I'd drive it home...it's only 2,220 miles.... Might take me a week or two to get home and a few hundred gallons of gas though. If I remember right the super m topped out at 16 mph.

Man I hope my wife never reads this post. :mrgreen: I've never added it all up, but I could have a nice Chinese bike for what I have in this American steel.
Kenny
img_2471.jpg

Murray Beach cruiser 50.00
Spaceliner frame 57.00
springer 56.00
layback seat post 24.00
Spaceliner chainguard 15.00
Schwinn sprocket 6.50
Nirve tires 53.00
Sturmey Archer 3spd. 67.00
Brooks seat 123.00
handlebars 30.00
extended stem 20.00

kensmurray said:
Man I hope my wife never reads this post. :mrgreen: I've never added it all up, but I could have a nice Chinese bike for what I have in this American steel.
Kenny
img_2471.jpg

Murray Beach cruiser 50.00
Spaceliner frame 57.00
springer 56.00
layback seat post 24.00
Spaceliner chainguard 15.00
Schwinn sprocket 6.50
Nirve tires 53.00
Sturmey Archer 3spd. 67.00
Brooks seat 123.00
handlebars 30.00
extended stem 20.00

And we won't even start adding shipping into the mix for each of those parts... :shock:

exactly

Word of advice for you: When the wife or girlfriend ask how much you paid for or how much you have into something, flip the question and ask "How much do you love me?"

Make them answer first, then say something to the effect of "Then what does it matter how many strips of paper with green writing on them I gave to get what I want?.... I got you for free so that makes up for any amount I could spend" :mrgreen:

Trust me IT WORKS!

And NEVER under any circumstance tell her what you really paid. :lol:

Back