Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that trailer idea Toeslider!

After much deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger on a Beast. The thing is so big that it wouldn't even fit in the back of my truck *with* the bed extender. I was able to connect only one side of the bed extender.

IMG_5530_zps6c2359c8.jpg

Thought you Mongoose Beast fans might get a kick out of the number of Beasts our local Walmart has ready to roll...

Red Beasts
IMG_5526_zps4b3465ad.jpg

Green Beasts
IMG_5527_zps09974cac.jpg

Blue Beasts
IMG_5528_zpsbec4b02e.jpg

In all, I counted 32 built-out Beasts.

32 Beasts! All the Walmarts in my area do not have any! Why is it some have them and others don't! Just wondering.

Guess there won't be a shortage anytime soon, if you know where to look...

At least you get to look yours over before you fork over the cash, instead of hoping for the best like the rest of us.

My store still hasn't seen one, and everyone who sees mine wants it, but there are still lots of people out there who are afraid to shop online.

I looked at those photos and didn't see one of the special edition gold Beasts. :?

Toeslider, yes, after reading this thread I was sure to look mine over good.

Rapidray, I spoke to the sales person there; she said that they are expecting to sell them out in a couple weeks for when the Burning Man festival begins. I also noticed that they had about 50 Huffy Cranbrooks and 30 Huffy Panama Jack beach cruisers assembled and lined up for the same reason.

Some walmarts just don't have display space for them. They won't fit their normal bike display racks.

They must be getting caught up on demand. From selling out to 32 in 1 store! Should be going on sale soon!

Yeah, being afraid to shop on line can only hurt sales of online stuff only. Walmart can learn.

One good thing about not buying on line is you can see it before you pay so if something is messed up, don't buy it or pick another.

I just took delivery on a red one this am. All bearings are way too tight as ususal.

I also worked on a VROOM electric bike today. 7" long bb axle similar to the Beast axle. Opened it up and the grease was silver! That was all metal fillings. The axle is worn down about 1/8" in the bearing spots. Yowza. One crank nut threading was stripped too. Looking for a new bb axle. 7" over all length (not counting threads) for a 4" bb shell. Any tips?

Rick

I got one on line this week, and went for a ride today 8 miles. I need a new seat and i'll be good. what would you recomend

I just finished up a complete overhaul of a new red beast straight from the box.
Headset, front hub, rear hub and bottom bracket were all severely over tightened and lacking grease. All threads were bone dry. One bearing cage in the rear hub was missing a ball bearing (7/32").

Yeah, they all need the immediate bearing greasing and adjustment.

Seats are like buying shoes. YOU have to try them yourself.

rick

RenoGuy said:
Rapidray, I spoke to the sales person there; she said that they are expecting to sell them out in a couple weeks for when the Burning Man festival begins. I also noticed that they had about 50 Huffy Cranbrooks and 30 Huffy Panama Jack beach cruisers assembled and lined up for the same reason.
Thanks for the information! I can see the reasoning behind that one. I wonder is they do not sell if they will throw them on sale? :D again thanks.

rickpaulos said:
I also worked on a VROOM electric bike today. 7" long bb axle similar to the Beast axle. Opened it up and the grease was silver! That was all metal fillings. The axle is worn down about 1/8" in the bearing spots. Yowza. One crank nut threading was stripped too. Looking for a new bb axle. 7" over all length (not counting threads) for a 4" bb shell. Any tips?
Is the wide axle at choppersrus the right one?
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... cket-Axle/

rickpaulos said:
Looking for a new bb axle. 7" over all length (not counting threads) for a 4" bb shell. Any tips?

Rick

When you say BB (bottom bracket) axle, do you mean spindle?

It should be the same size spindle in the OCC Chopper bikes, and most of them haven't seen hard use.

re: axle for a VROOM

specs from ChoppersRus
"Extra Wide Bottom Bracket Axle; Replacement for Schwinn Stingray
Approx. 165mm Long Overall and 100mm Center to Center for Shoulders That Support the Bearing Races
"

axle overall length:
Beast: 6 & 7/8" (174.6mm)
Vroom: 7" (177.8mm)
choppersrus: (6.5") 165mm

bb Shell:
beast: 4 & 3/8"
vroom 4"

bearing to bearing:
Beast: 4" (101.6 mm)
Vroom: 3 & 5/8" (92 mm)
choppersrus: 100mm

The extra wide bottom bracket axle at Choppers R Us is shorter but has wider spaced bearing surfaces. I forgot to check the chain ring to chain stay clearance. Okay since the crank had already fallen off I can see why I didn't check that. The Vroom tires aren't "fat" so there should be plenty of tire to chain clearance. Add some spacers on the right cup and it might work. Thanks for the link.

The owner was going to try to call Vroom direct to get an axle. Looks like they are still in business so that might work out.
http://www.vroombicycles.com/web/index. ... &Itemid=69

rick

vroomcruiserbbaxle_zpsf50e494f.jpg

vroomcruiserelectricbikebbshellwidth_zps83fb9d65.jpg

yoothgeye said:
When you say BB (bottom bracket) axle, do you mean spindle?

Axle vs spindle. Vague terms for the same thing. Yeah, an axle is typically stationary while a spindle spins. But the entire bicycle industry has always referred to the part as an "axle". Walk in to any bike shop and ask for a "spindle" and you will get the deer in the head lights look.

Same part, just different terminology coming from different professions. I had a rear wheel drive Fiat X1/9 that had "Live Axles" for the front wheels and I've seen trucks with "Fixed Spindles".

I wasn't trying to flaunt my bicycle knowledge, that's just what I've always heard that part called and wanted to be assured we were talking about the same part.

I don't have the benefit of walking into any bike shop and getting a deer in the headlights look, closest shop is 50 miles away, further for more. :cry:

I'm sticking to the OCC chopper having the same sized part. I have one out in the shop, actually 2, I need to find them and measure one.

Back