Mongoose Beast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 2 blue Beasts today.

both got complete overhauls right out of the box. Seem silly? Nope, they really need it. I suggest you do the same with yours.

The worst is the bottom bracket. I removed the crank arms and could NOT turn the axle with 2 hands. Not much grease in there either. None on the threads in the bb shell.

Headset is nearly greaseless.

Hubs have grease but the front needs adjusting. I did add grease to one rear hub even though it had quite a bit in there. The other, I could hear the brake shoes squealing. I'll add grease to that too.

I greased all the threads on the bike. They are all bone dry. Headset cone & locknut, pedals, crank bolts, axles, bb shell, seat post clamp, all stem bolts. Greased the seat post and stem.

Ever owned a bike where you have to remove the rear refectors (two of them) to get the wheel out?

Removed the chain guard. The screws are in really tight.

One came with the crank arm sticking out the box on one side and the kickstand sticking out the other.

The other bike had a bent fork. The dropout was bent so the axle would not fit and was a bit twisted. The bike pulls a tad to the left. Not bad enough to return it.

the spokes are very tight and make a bit of noise. I expect they will start breaking soon and need replacing.

the pedals and seat are acceptable.

the ride? Not bad. You can roll over pretty much anything.

Tires are 26 x 4.0, recommended 30 psi.

Cast iron crank arms. Not light at all. 170mm.

Despite both boxes having extra tape on them to keep them closed and the box damage, there were no scratches on either bike other than a small ding on the one bent fork end.

Very long bb axle! Try getting a replacement!

protruding crank arm:

I finally checked the psi. About 8 or 10 out of the box. My pump isn't so accurate at sub 10 psi. I aired it to 15 which seems plenty.

Put it on a scale too. Wallymart list the shipping weight at 46 pounds. Sure. The bike (minus the chain guard and reflectors) weighs 48.8 pounds. I'd guess the box was 15. new math 48.8 + 15 = 46.

Rode it to work today. flat, tail wind, 5 miles. The gearing was about right. Going back in to the wind will be another story. I think I might change the 18t cog for a 19. The seat wasn't any too comfy after 5 miles either.

The Smell, the Smell. Ooh those tires and grips. Like walking into Tires Plus. Gag.

Oh yeah, one more note. I let my wife take one out for a ride. The fat tires make her look pretty skinny. :shock: :shock:

Keep your box if you decide to return it.
I have been running just over 10 psi on mine.

No ups/fedex/usps. I opted for in store pickup because I was out of town when I thought they would arrive. So wallymarts apes did the the job instead. "DO NOT LAY FLAT" is printed on the box. Well, the store guy wheeled them out, FLAT, stacked, on a pallet mover. Not realy any other way you could move them short of carrying them and that takes 2 people per box especially when the box bottoms were blown out and partially retaped. Aside from the dinged fork on one bike, the other had a crank arm sticking out one side of the box, an axle and the kickstand sticking out the other side, there were zero scratches anywhere.

Recycled the boxes asap. Just too big to keep around.

I'm thinking I should order 2 more so I can make a franken fat tandem!

You heard it here first.

Rick

tandem_zps19e41a78.jpg

I'd seen a fat trike a couple years ago.

A fat tandem would be cool!
All you need is an extra tube between the BB's.
I hope you do it!!!

rickpaulos said:
I'd seen a fat trike a couple years ago.

Yeah, but was it a 26 inch Mongoose Beast? :D BTW, my Goose is sitting in some sorting facility in another county! Im pretty sure I'll never see it. Dont know if Ill ask the to send me a another bike or just get a refund, Im kinda Goosed out.

That trike was not a Beast. Looked like a trike axle kit added to a pugsley with 4" rims & tires. I tried to find a photo but no luck.

My Beast came in today! Double boxe, no damage to the bike or box! Needed grease in the headset but all else is good! I think Ill take it over to the LBS and have them regrease everything anyways. (I can do it but Ive been very tired lately)

Back