Monochrome Motocross

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had this Sears Spyder for a while. I thought I might have enough loose parts to put it together. But, this off-road comp came up and it got me thinking: Between muscle bikes and real BMX, there were home built MX bikes. I could use this muscle frame and build an MX bike out of it. The question: Can I contain myself? We’ll see.

54D74F81-0D2A-40B8-9A9D-2E097D070E67.jpeg

As I was piling up a parts list in my head, I wondered if there might be an old BMX bike in my area as a donor bike? I found one and picked it up after work.

F444D629-6F9F-4B90-B9A1-265CDAD615C7.jpeg

Now I’m worried that I found a gem. This is a Raleigh. Looks like it was a chrome frame with blue anodized parts. Does anyone know anything about these?

As I was piling up a parts list in my head, I wondered if there might be an old BMX bike in my area as a donor bike? I found one and picked it up after work.

View attachment 211708

Now I’m worried that I found a gem. This is a Raleigh. Looks like it was a chrome frame with blue anodized parts. Does anyone know anything about these?
@RustyGold may

I’ve had this Sears Spyder for a while. I thought I might have enough loose parts to put it together. But, this off-road comp came up and it got me thinking: Between muscle bikes and real BMX, there were home built MX bikes. I could use this muscle frame and build an MX bike out of it. The question: Can I contain myself? We’ll see.

View attachment 211707

That is exactly what we did back in the day. As our muscle bikes were getting long in the tooth and before we graduated to 10 speeds, we tinkered around with making bikes sorta like the new MX thing that was starting.

I didn't even know what muscle bikes were until I was in my 30s...but, almost all my bikes from the age of 5/6 on up to around 12/13, when I discovered cars and motorcycles, were 'curved frame' BMX. I can only guess that by '74/'75 muscle bikes were passé...and I never saw a Schwinn shop as a kid. I'd find frames at garage sales, or wherever...and 'trick' them out with Western Auto BMX parts, garage sale, or hand me downs from friends who had 'real' bmx bikes.

Who knows what kind of cool muscle bike frames I destroyed as a kid. :grin:

Practically a dead ringer for the seat supports on the RamRod and others in the late '70s.
The first time I had seen it was on the AMF Renegade I had bought as you see it. It looks like they made the supports. So I may use the idea on this bike since it’s along the same theme.

DE9BAA49-B73B-468B-B556-5050CE14B7B3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back