Mooneyes.. and Mags

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
does anyone make these for 20'in bikes?
moon_eyes_nirve_cruiser.jpg

i mean i know these were make for a short time ^ for that bike but now anyone making any wheels like this plastic or alloy..

also on that note anyone seen any good/nice cool lookin alloy mag wheels?
300xmr7.jpg

nn-144_1z.jpg

i wanted a set of these ^
but every time they show up on Cl they want 100 something for the bike and the mags aint worth that to me.. maybe someone has a set they wanna sell?

Yeah, at wal-mart a year ago they had a BMX with some cool mags, not curvy like those but more like a motomag rip. The bike was $120 I think, I coulda put a set of spoked wheels on it, sold it for $80 and had a $40 set of mags. But I didn't. Didn't have a project for them at the time.

you could keep an eye out on ebay for the old bmx discs and experiment with maybe some silver or aluminum colored spray paint.

the mags, if you have a flea market nearby, keep an eye out there.

Man I gotta have some of those polo/salt flat discs for my 26"! Those scream hot rod! And Mooneyes to boot!

Now that I look at that bike again the whole thing is cool! Dig the chainring also.Anyone sell a blank solid chainring?

CRASH said:
I have a Dyno Mooneyes, and I looked into getting those discs for it. $300. $75 per disk! :shock:
What the what? Not this poor boy neither! May have to redneck engineer some. If anyone around me winds up missing some trash can lids I didn't take them. Honest! :)

Dude, check the garden center at the local Wally world..the one here in elk grove has returns and scratch/ dent bikes locked up out there for 35% off!

Local kid (not a big boy) managed to do this around here:
brokewheel.jpg

I bought one of these locally for $30 in like new condition just for the wheels:
DSCF1780.jpg

The spokes have a machined edge that looks like a blade, pretty cool, just wish they were coaster instead of freewheel.

There were 20" wheels like that long ago in BMX. They were called "Pedal Proof". Rare and kinda pricey these days.

Really? I've got a 20" Kia BMX from when I was a kid that has disc wheel covers. It said "Aero Racing Series" on it, that's as close to a model name as I could come up with. It was new in the mid/late '80s. At the time, I just liked it because it had green tires...

Peatbog said:
Heck, you can buy the bike new for $119 at Walmart.

Looks to me like those mag wheels could snap riding hard over a curb.
dont ride over a curb jump over them :p

yoothgeye said:
Local kid (not a big boy) managed to do this around here:
brokewheel.jpg

I bought one of these locally for $30 in like new condition just for the wheels:
DSCF1780.jpg

The spokes have a machined edge that looks like a blade, pretty cool, just wish they were coaster instead of freewheel.
yeah i considered getting the 5star mags off that bike but people in my hood want like $120 - 80 for that scrappy bike and i only want the wheels off it..

and wow what a fatty XD
im only about 120 i dont gotta worry about breaking things.. :p

I built a bike this winter that just had to have disk wheels. It started as a new Cranbrook from Walmat.
I looked into many things to get a nice "spun aluminum" looking wheel from the $300 :shock: Mooneyes to aluminum pizza plates the end of a disel fuel tank........just couldn't make anything work and the plastic ones look like...well....plastic.
I ended up using .040 aluminum. Had to put a seam in it. I tried to put a dome in it with the press but it would always wrinkle.
This is what I ended up with.
DSCN0249.jpg

I actually like yours with the seam better than the solid ones! Great job! They probably aren't worth the trouble of making and selling, but people would buy them.

yoothgeye said:
I actually like yours with the seam better than the solid ones! Great job! They probably aren't worth the trouble of making and selling, but people would buy them.
yeah, they are pretty sweet man..
im gonna be doing 20"s so i could possibly use an old pizza dish and maybe one with all the holes in it :idea:
that could look intresting :D

Back