more old bike shop pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more old shop pics.

03papaalley46.jpg

This is my grandfather in 1946. He was a barber by trade and had worked on bikes prior to World War One. He also helped in the shop when not cutting hair.

04uncalley46.jpg

This is my uncle and one of dads other employees in 1946. My uncle is assembling a Whizzer. My uncle worked for 25 cents an hour then. He later moved up to 35 cents an hour.

14bikes66.jpg

Here is about 1966 when I was old enough to start working. I started at $3 a week part time after school. We lined all the new and used bikes along the street. If I had to go to town about 4 blocks away and pick up something, I had my choice of any of these trusty steeds.

17papa66.jpg

Here is my grandfather at the brake washing bench about 1969 before he finally retired. He worked on bikes for over 50 years. I learned much about old school mechanics from him due to his patience.

20meshop66.jpg

Here is me about 1970 in the junk pile. This is representative of the amount of old bikes we had to sell-off or scrap every two years. Here you can see some Raliegh Choppers and some Rupp mini bikes mixed in with the left overs.

23shopxmas.jpg

Here is the front of the shop at Christmas 1973. We built a new building and were still working on the inside. All of the bikes lines up on the floor were sold on lay-a-way for Christmas. The new bikes above on the shelf were all that were left. There are some Raliegh Choppers up there. There is also a new Rupp mini bike on the floor for sale.

34bikeshop2.jpg

Here is me about 1975 working on bikes. Those were the good old days. Hope you enjoyed these pics. Thanks!!!

Back in 1987-89 I used to work at a bicycle shop in Quebec city, we had 2 storage places full of old 50's, 60' and 70's bikes mostly 70's bikes...in 88 i remember doing 4 or 5 trips to the dump with the shop van filled with theses bikes...i must have trown away over 100 brand new bikes :shock: ...If i only knew that there was a market now for theses! :roll:

we had to sell-off or scrap every two years.

SCRAP!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

why would you do such a thing
hahah just messin with ya
great story and pics thanks for sharing!!!

Back