Morrow hub? A question on the rebuild. 08.05.13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This hub was given to me in parts. The hub shell has no script ( i was thinking morrow hubs had eclipse written on them ) on it except a small stamped F4. There is a grease fitting. Would like to verify that it is a morrow hub and the model type (to locate service diagrams ). I know the brake arm says Morrow, but as I said it came to me in parts and the gent I got it from was "80%" sure all these parts go together. Lol he had them for some time just sitting around in a tuppaware bowl. Any help is appreciated.

87E0C64C-8BE1-4AFD-9EAB-421ACFF1FF49-1034-000000D07322D4DE.jpg

Re: Morrow hub?

Doesn't look like any of my moffow hubs. Are the guts in it? Does it have a brass barrel with wedged slots in it? What gage spoke holes does it have? Could be the heavy duty hub. if it is Morrow, f4 would be the last quarter of '36. I have a Morrow hub with the stamping reading from flange to flange, unlike any of my others that read perpendicular to the flanges.
Johnny

Yes, it has the brass barrel. Probably should have had that in the pic. The spoke hole gauge I'm not sure about, I put a new 14 gauge spoke through and there is some wiggle. Here's a pic of the innards. Thanks.

0A0217F5-DEBF-4833-A8CF-52D134920377-1230-000000F63B070638.jpg

Looks like you got it all there except for the lock nuts and the axel nuts. You also got a crank bearing and two crank races and a crank spacer mixed in as well. Looks like standard Morrow stuff. That hub though might be unique?

Yes it is a morrow. Yes the internals are Morrow, and yes it is dated '36. I have a couple like this. They have a different shell for some specific application(?) and both mine are dated 36 as well. Someone told me they were used on the Elgin Bluebird. I can not verify that, but in the 30's Elgins did make a big show of grease zerks.

Thanks guys for all the info and diagram pics. Appreciate your time! Now to find a build for it.
Maybe a bomber, since I don't have anything that uses that hub.

Jon

For those who have rebuilt these hubs, is the sprocket supposed to spring forward a little after you let it go from the brake applied position? Maybe it's just a little "release" when the hub is pedal forward?

Please understand that I am using my hands to work the hub and apply the brake. It is not on a wheel yet, so with the weight of the spokes and rim I don't think it would do it.

Thanks,

Jon

Socal Last said:
For those who have rebuilt these hubs, is the sprocket supposed to spring forward a little after you let it go from the brake applied position? Maybe it's just a little "release" when the hub is pedal forward?

Please understand that I am using my hands to work the hub and apply the brake. It is not on a wheel yet, so with the weight of the spokes and rim I don't think it would do it.

Thanks,

Jon

Mine do this and work fine. It is the retarder spring 117 that works differently than other hubs.

The_Black_Monark said:
Musselman do this too.

Yes, I think in the case of the Musselman it is the flexing of the brake shoe that produces the "push-back".

Back