MOST ATTENTION GETTING BICYCLE = BONESHAKER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

drbern77

If you can find one of these, BUY IT!! I love antique, and mechanical things, which is why i love old bikes, but when it comes to high wheelers, it's just a different world. So cool to see and experience the bicycle rich kids/adults rode in the late 1800's.

When this beauty popped up on craigslist for a few hundred bucks only 6 miles from home i was amazed, almost thought it was too good to be true. Quick called the number on the ad, but he told me someone beat me too it and the guy was coming to get it over the weekend. on sunday he emailed to say that the 1st guy was a no show and that i was next inline. It was meant to be.
It has a genuine parson's seat on it! I contacted the owner/founder of Ridable Bicycle Replica's out in CA and he told me all about it. It's from the 80's but a great build. The owner paid $1000 for it and it's still $1000 today with shipping. I'm going to buy an old oil lamp headlight replica for it from him, and maybe an old style bulb horn. would like a leather under seat bag. anyone have one?
THE RIDE:
What an experience i must tell you. FIRST TIME, it was very easy to hop on w/ momentum. different being so high up. no brakes! it's a fixie! be prepared to hop off when you need to stop.
go slow, balance it relearned here.. spread legs apart to make room to turn. It's not easy,, but not hard either.
Stay away from curbs, unlevel pavement and again hills. Tires are solid rubber, so you feel everything. "BONESHAKER" i wiped out once, got lucky and only tore off the tip of my big toe. DO NO WEAR SANDALS while riding these!

AND BE PREPARED TO HAVE ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE STARE, STOP, WATCH YOU UNTIL YOURE OUT OF SIGHT, COMMENT, ect ect.. It's amazing how people turn their heads to this, unlike anything i've ever owned.
enjoy!

I hate helmets and never wear one. With that kind of bike, though, I'd have a helmet on. They didn't call the modern style bikes that followed these bone shakers "safety bikes" for nothing. :| Gary

Latest posts

Back