Mounting a Nexus 3 speed-Worksman Dropouts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im not sure what to do. Ive never had a worksman wheel set, but i thought this little yellow piece got stuck in the dropout, so the axle doesnt spin...or something like that.

But. I have it to where the coaster brake is locked with the frame, the axle wont spin(or it wont as far as i notice) to where the yellow thing will slide in.

this is probabably a super simple fix...this is the first time i ever...well...actually, touched a Nexus 3 speed.
dbc06ada.jpg

they sold different colors of those washers for different dropout angles, the yellows work on slanted dropouts like on schwinns but i think youll need a different washer to match the dropout angle. there used to be a link on harris cyclery about them somewhere.

The yellow piece (anti-turn washer) prevents the axle from rotating in the dropout. You can run the bike without it in place but you take the chance of the axle spinning.

I was told i could loosen the axle, and turn the washer into where i want it to go.

But, Ive only seen the washer on one side of these hubs...so wouldnt it only be on one side? Does it have to be on the drive side?

I dont know what washer i would need either.

You need; Track-type fork ends (0 °) 6R/Siler, 6L/White Assuming those are rear facing bmx/track ends.

Internal gear hubs always require some system for preventing the axle from rotating, as it is used as part of the gear train. Like most other internal gear systems, Shimano uses tab washers that engage the dropout slot to keep the axle from turning.

Because the shift cable linkage ("cassette joint unit" in Shimano-speak) is also keyed to the axle, they make different types of anti-rotation washers to fit different dropout angles. You need to select the correct type of washers for your particular frame.

(Earlier Nexus hubs only used an anti-roatation washer on the right side, but newer models use a pair of them, each a mirror image of the other.)

Latest posts

Back