Mounting a speedo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got an exercycle from the thrift store for $10 and am able to scavenge the speedometer, the seat and post, the pedals and the bars and grips. I want to mount the speedo on my chopper which is a converted West Coast Chopper bike. The speedometer cable is kind of short and I can't mount it on the handlebars like I'd like. It looks like it will have to go somewhere on the the triple tree fork.

Any ideas on location or on the type of bracket I can use to put this on the bike?
thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Schwinn-Huret-S ... dZViewItem

Schwinn%20Speedometer.jpg

these are what your supposed to use for them, but with the short cable you may have to get creative

Here is what I am working with. I can't mount it on the handlebars because the cable is too short. I can really only mount it with a "vertical" bracket wrapped around the steering tube just above the lower fork bracket or maybe attach a bracket to the lower fork bracket with a small self tapping screw? One thing that may be a problem is that the speedo would turn with the forks? Is that a concern?

Photo-0002chop.jpg

Photo-0002chop.jpg

Heres what I was thinking. If you can turn the speedo mounting strap 90 degrees you could mount in location A or B. Turning with the wheel is a good thing especially if the cable is short. Location C is a stretch. Not sure how mounting to the head tub would actually work out. plus it would not move with the wheel. Although the central location might help that problem.

Those are my thoughts. I like this project because it is going to be nearly free to the builder. Coolness.

Well the whole point in having a functioning speedo is to have a fucntioning speedo. I don't know if you can atcually get different cables for the speedos. Seems like too much trouble if I can just find a way to mount this one.

I was thinking that I didn't want the speedo on the fork as it would turn but now on second thought, I want it to turn as the wheel does don't I? I think I have a bracket that will work to mount it on location A in the pic. I think that will work. I'll try it and post a pic

Ok found a smaller reflector mounting bracket that allowed me to go around the right fork. The bracket has a little adjustable tab that extends outward from the circle clamp bracket and I was able to mount the speed mount onto that. I can adust the angle of the speedo to get it in good view. I think this is a good location for the speedo.

Photo-0005chpr.jpg

Photo-0004chpr.jpg

Heres an idea? If the cable is too short, go to a junk yard and get the outer speedometer cable housing from an older vehicle that used a mechanical speedometer. Most of those are several feet long. Then purchase a replacement universal inner speedometer cable from your local auto parts. Those come with one square end and a loose end that you crimp onto the inner cable at the required length. You might have to get creative where the outer housing attaches to the speedomtere head and the driver, but I think all the inner wires were about the same diameter between American made cars and the bicycle speedo's. Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back