Mr. Poopypants

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, my brother named this bike, so blame him.....

I first built this bike as a cheap (as in free) way to get to and from college. the frame was found on a scrap pile in my dad's friend's scrap metal yard. the frame's always been a bit bent, which I might deal with eventually, because it won't go no-hands.

anyways, here's the first version:

MrPoopypants008.jpg

MrPoopypants007.jpg

MrPoopypants009.jpg

as you can see, not very stylish. just the old frame, with a bunch of cast off MTB parts. I rode it for 2 or 3 years like this, steadily gaining random stickers, just making it really ugly for theft deterrent. It had a very hard life for a while there. I broke the cottered crank spindle gapping down 5 stairs... put some different cranks on. I always had trouble with the spokes in the rear, because the holes in the coaster hub were too big. once one went, they just started to pop. in a ten minute ride I cleared probably 6 spokes out of it one time, arriving home with tire rub on the chainstays, and shaking like crazy. so after that I found a 3 speed hub, and it was hooked up to a lever at the seat lug. that blew up in less than a year, I don't think I was engaging the gears right with that shifter. by that point, I had enough old race parts to build a better school bike, and this one was retired.
Soon I brought it back as a fixed gear, and my "better bike" crapped out and Mr Poopypants was back in. I called it quits on engineering, and the bike kind of just sat, until I got a free Fuji leather seat and lugged Raleigh MTB fork working as a bike mechanic. My brother donated a sweet set of Nitto bars to the cause, and I taped them with some old used vinyl road tape, mounted on a Peugeot stem. All the ugly stickers, reflectors, and brakes came off (the bike has nice patina I think)except for "knobbystock" which was a cool mountain bike race I did in the 90's. I caved and spent $8 (at cost) on tires... but I never did like those. at this point it looked like so:

MrPoopypants.jpg

Next mod: a set of early 90's vintage cromoly cranks. I had these on a "freeride" bike, and they have been broken off and re-welded... they should never have seen that much airtime I guess :oops:
Pedals are Primo BMX, with the edges sanded on a snowboard base grinder.

firstrideofspring2-1.jpg

It stayed like that until this week, when I put some IRC tires on it:

MrPoopypants001.jpg

I had also trimmed the seat:

MrPoopypants002.jpg

and a few more for kicks:

MrPoopypants003.jpg

MrPoopypants004.jpg

MrPoopypants005.jpg

thanks guys. I'm still gonna switch from fixed to a coaster brake, and redo the wheels accordingly, which is why I posted up in the builds section.
I may want a better stem as well, that Peugeot one is FLEXY, and they aren't known as the strongest thing, even on a road bike. I'll also get a bigger chainring once I get the wheels done, whatever 2:1 works out to. The current 24/13 is quite low, but good considering there's no brakes.

I'm open to colour suggestions for the rims.....

gold... hmmm

that might look good, kinda play off the flaking gold paint, eh?

here are a few other colours I just photoshopped, while annoying my girlfriend with all my questions:
MrPoopypantsrimsbrown.jpg

MrPoopypantsrimsnavy.jpg

MrPoopypantsrimsred.jpg

MrPoopypantsrimswhite.jpg

MrPoopypantsrimsyella.jpg

I like the brown and the white myself, and yeah gold, but I don't know how to photoshop that.

If the forks are staying red, I'd go with red wheels. If you can match the forks to the frame, I'd go with brown wheels.

here's my best shot at a gold version... kinda hard to get a gold shimmer on it.

MrPoopypantsrimsgoooooold.jpg

I am also thinking maybe a couple stripes of another colour around the rims.
the red and the yellow version are a bit louder than I would like, but of course that is partly because the pics are fake.

that is one sic ratty klunker. leave it alone and ride the dirt. oh, paint the rims yellow.

Outlaw

Is that a raleigh mustang frame? Its such a genuine bike, I love it. your knees must be a bit close to the bars though. I'd paint the wheels plain black.

JOScatRATrod said:
Is that a raleigh mustang frame? Its such a genuine bike, I love it. your knees must be a bit close to the bars though. I'd paint the wheels plain black.

the head badge is just blank(worn off) but it has the same outline as one on an eaton's glider muscle bike(now lowrider) that I have. although, that bike is a re-branded raleigh, so that actually makes sense. I'll have to look up what a raleigh mustang looks like now... :idea:

yeah it's pretty short, but the bars are also pretty wide, so it's not that bad. I might tip them forward a bit for offroad.

That's cool! What did you use to create the pics for the different rim colors?

[EDIT] Oops. Just saw it was photoshop. I use the poor man's version - Paintshop Pro. :D It would take me a while to do something like that though. I gotta get photoshop one of these days.

awesome bike I second Outlaw about the color of rims! it is just perfect my friend great job glad you did not give up and throw it out a long time ago :mrgreen:

little update here.

I still have not done the coaster brake switch (that cost money ya know....lol), but before I left work for my apprenticeship school, my boss switched out the handlebars on his YZ250. He had me make him some fancy new CNC aluminum risers to adapt the new bars. I spent a day roughing out the basics of them, and then he spent another day making them lighter and cooler looking. Yeah, there was nothing to do in the shop..... so anyways, his old steel bars hit the scrap bin.... for a couple hours that is, when I pilfered them at the end of work.

I had an old GT quill stem, which I shimmed up with Coke can to go from 21.1 to 22.2 diameter, and mounted the YZ bars in it. The 1" center on the Nitto bar is what had been stopping me from running this stem, and I was hesitant to mill it out to 1", being the cool vintage piece it is. Motorcycle bars, at 7/8" dropped right in. The front end is nice and stiff now, and these have less sweep, so the reach is lengthened a bit, which it needed.

I'll post pics as soon as I can pry MY camera out of my girlfriend's cute little photographer fingers.

I also ground a 36t chainring off a cottered crank. the remaining hole is serrated, but it looks like it will work, and it has really ratty patina, but minimal wear. 36t will make 2:1 with an 18t coaster hub, perfect for offroad.

Latest posts

Back