Mrs. Goodwrench

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I get my head back into this build and head down to the shop, only to find that the headset I bought turns out to be 1 1/8", not 1" (despite the box it was in from the LBS).

I figure, no big deal, just go exchange it Monday, but test fitting some 1" cups I have laying around I see this frame (made in Taiwan) has some oddball sized cups and the 1" ones are as loose as a goose. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

The intended wheel does not fit the fork dropouts worth a hoot...

I am on standby at the moment.

Maybe I will get rid of the bike and the brunette...

:shock: WOW! Your in a bad space my friend! Ship some of your access kids off to Oregon and I'll give them a good life!Keep the Brunette and keep her happy!(Just a little off the top-LOL) :? :? Stick with the build!I've had my rage also!(see LBS Rage in bike talk).............DEEP BREATH....... OK?Now sand something or polish off some rust!It will make U feel better! :wink: :wink: L8 EM :wink: :wink:

Keep the bike and lose the wife :lol:

INTIMIDATER-FOREVER THE MAN!!!!!

I finally got around to some mock up today.

I started with a triple clamp chopper fork and I just wasn't feeling the love. As low as I could drop the front end it still sat too high in the front. The Electra forks can only be dropped so far due to the mock seal/wiper on the legs. You don't have that problem with the Choppers US fork(s).

So then I went to a standard fork, which I intended to use some truss rods with. I like the look of the fork, but the truss rods are not going to work out. It has a much lower, racier stance and will be the way I continue with this build.

I have some pix of the chopper fork set up, but none of the regular fork yet. On top of that my batteries are dead in the camera and it has decidied to rain now, so maybe later on I'll actually show you what I am talking about. :mrgreen:

you got any straight springer forks around(schwinn style)?
if so you can keep the low raked look by pulling the spring out and cutting the bolt down and using the rubber bushing(instead of the spring)

Sensor,

I do have one, even have an additional steer tube long enough somewhere...but it just is not the look I have in mind.

I am trying to stay away from chrome for one thing, part of why I am not liking the chopper fork I had mounted.

I think this standard rigid fork is growing on me.

Here is the bike with the chopper fork:

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164-1.jpg

And here it is with the standard fork:

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

Popular opinion in the household here is not in favor of the standard fork. I think I would like the chopper fork better if the legs were shorter and I could get the front end down where I want it...more of a bobber stance and less of a chopper stance.

Like Indian Larry described it, crisp handling not slovenly.

i see what you mean now............. do those grommets on the fork serve any purpose other than looks? im assuming youve already tried to remove them and no luck. but yeah it would look much better with them dropped afew more inches

an idea

I don't know the fork but can U flip the triple trees..er clamps would that help??

Youre right that dual fork is really cooler than the stock fork..sooo close ..BUT yet sooo far :?

Those things are like fake fork seals and the tubing diameter changes right there, so yeah, I'm stuck.

They make the same fork with shorter legs, but I was trying not to spend any more money on parts...

The jury is still out.

so the diameter below the 'seals' is actually bigger or smaller than the upper half of the forks? or is it just the little spot where the 'seals are and thats different diameter?

I have not done any more work on this project and will not be able to in the near future.

I will finish it eventually, but not for the BBO.

Mrs. Goodwrench gets a DNF.

Back