Murdered Out Roadmaster - done as she's gonna get pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Add my pics later, got the frame from a fellow rat rodder

EDIT: looks like he deleted the pic, knew I shoulda crossloaded a copy

testpattern.jpg

Re: Murdered Out Roadmaster

That frame is CLEAN! I'm looking for a similar type frame to build a board tracker bike.

It's a repop frame from `85, couldn't believe no one jumped on the deal in our classifieds. It's a pretty good reproduction, the 50s Hiawatha or Hawthorne tank I have fits perfect. The only not to spec feature is the head tube is set for a 1 1/8 heaset which turns out to be a plus I think, cups in there were a weird conversion to 1" set with horrible races, all chrome pieces are gone now.

First order of business, fix the garish decal that's on crooked, and update the badge
IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg

A little bit of acetone and decal be gone.
IMG_1102.jpg

A little bit of semi-flat black and the badge is murdered
IMG_1104.jpg

I'll be using some leftover Nirve, bmx, and mtb parts(fork maybe too)
IMG_1098.jpg

This tank will go black on the insets and smoked on the outer and gills maybe, gottta think about it more, I can at least remove paint right away
IMG_1101.jpg

Wheels from the Nirve
IMG_0994.jpg

What kind of fork is on that elgin frame on the bottom? and can i have it

and the build bike is looking cool. Rob and Big would be proud.

That's a Girvin Vector fork 1st-ish generation needs some work elastomers are rock solid, but it'll go on one of these old bikes at some point just gotta find the right project.

ahhh, i was wondering who would pick up that frame!

i like the murdered out look too, that bike is gonna be tight.

what fork are you gonna go with.

also, if you ever wanna unload that girvin, i blew the bombers out on my kona a few months ago :lol:

That Girvin is non-functional as a shock, elastomers are rock hard. There's a part or 2 inside it needs also. Better off getting a modern one anyway, Ijust like the looks. I have an NOS Girvin Crosslink 2 that is fully functional that could go on this but it's not black enough for what I had in mind, plus that stantions are rough on tanks.

The monotone shades of black will be perfect. The badge looks cool like that.

The Girvin fork you can find a rear spring off a cheap MTB. Gives you a pogo stick effect but makes it functional.

cman said:
The monotone shades of black will be perfect. The badge looks cool like that.

The Girvin fork you can find a rear spring off a cheap MTB. Gives you a pogo stick effect but makes it functional.

Acutally I already did that, trying to adapt the whole shock, the bottom should fit, but the top has a large diameter hollow shaft running thru. May look around for some more cheapie shocks, I can always use the black spring off this one for the crosslink, don't like the yellow springs/elastomers

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I've been looking for a 1st generation pro-link. I saw one on here paired with a straight bar frame and my mind was blown. I say use it or give it to me!

YEs, a yummy idea and very light so it makes the whole bike cruise effortlessly. :shock: :shock: :shock: 8)

AMFRAT004.jpg

can you take apart those forks and swap them side to side to get the wheel out front a couple more inches? I realize that you have them on the correctly, but my mind just thinks they would look better the other way.

NOS Baby ! Need to paint the legs if I were to use it on this one, but it's 1 1/8 as is the roadmaster, rough on tanks if you screw up on a bar cruise though. Been saving this one a long time. Really have something else in mind, too many non-black parts.

IMG_1114.jpg

Some internal rust on the tank, but took the acetone to the outside of one half cleaned up pretty good only some slight rust and very small dents externally.
IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

This is more what I was thinking, gotta touch up this used mtb fork a bit but not bad overall, hopefully I can get it to sag down adjusting the air preload but it's only an 80mm, otherwise I have a black unsprung fork as backup, just need a headset now, got tons of spare 1" headset parts, wasn't expecting this frame to take 1 1/8"

IMG_1119.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg

Don't much care for those mtb shocks on vintage frames. that pro-link looked ok, but like you said, hard on the tanks. One of those monark repop springer forks would look great on that frame.

jimw1960 said:
Don't much care for those mtb shocks on vintage frames. that pro-link looked ok, but like you said, hard on the tanks. One of those monark repop springer forks would look great on that frame.

Good thing it's not vintage and no thanks, owned a pair of those repop Monarks, a real POS and even more of a POS up close, bad construction, bad finish, and non-functional but look OK in a photo. Plus they would still be tank unfriendly. These were a whole lot cheaper, match better than the repops and are functional also.

Did a little mock-up with the probable mostly final parts, will need to black-out the tank after de-rusting of course. Either have to file the forks to get the axle all the way in or swap out to a QR setup. Should sit just right with weight on `em. Need to cleanup those tires.

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

i dig the mix of new and old rock it 8)

Back