Murray Mercury 2x

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay folks... Here's my good fortune from last weekends adventures, (2) two Murray Mercury bicycles.

Saturday I picked up my Ebay purchase. I'm certain I drove to far and certain I paid toooo much... but, what the heck. Saturday's purchase was a complete bike, with the owner picking it up in 1968, used, for $3 (I gave a little more, inflation ya know). The owner wasn't a spring chicken either, an interesting old fart. :D The coolest part of the trip was the owner's home, an old downtown row house. It was well maintained with 12'+ ceilings, ornate wood work, marble this, stone that, etc. Made it worth the effort.

Sunday, I got up and had breakfast with a friend at the neighborhood diner. From there we headed over to Peddlers bike shop for a bike swap meet. The swap was billed as a "BMX" swap [as I later found out] and the weather was really, well, crappy. So, the turn out was less than I had hoped for... My good fortune was that there was one guy selling non-BMX stuff and lo-n-behold he had the twin [in pieces, minus the handle bars] to the bike I picked up the day before! What's a guy to do!?....... I bought it, what else? LOL. It's become an illness.

Both bike are missing the head lamps. One is a skip tooth. The chain gaurds are the same but different. One has a goofy tank, not sure that's original to the bike...? Etc. I need to date them from grins.

Clark

A little bit of tweaking and it now is a bike that can be ridden... I'm from the Kansas City area so the Western Auto tires are a hoot!
4706937919_76e367b849.jpg

... "parts" bike laid out
4706937923_9ede52fb6c.jpg

Head badge...
4706937925_6a94ee70c1.jpg

Wow, sweet! :shock: I believe they're early to mid 50s. Those chain guards are period aftermarket, the og guards are much bigger! And that tank is from a 60s AMF, probably girls' bike! -Adam

thatismytruck said:
Sweet bikes Clark!! Will you actually work on these? :wink: :lol:

Where will you be riding them?

Skip, hello... Can you say "pub crawl"? That's where I'll ride them. Probably not a Napa wine tour though. :lol: (inside joke)

Prolly won't "work" on them so much, just ride "as is", have a little fun. I'm starting to gain steam on my other Murray build so these will remain back burner status. They're not quite 100% of what I was looking for but, a guy has got to start somewhere, they may end up being trading material?

Clark

hahahaha, Napa wine tour! Clark, those are sweet. Have fun fixin' 'em up and riding.

Clark...I'm glad you got my old Mercury (in pieces) & also glad to have met you.Its cool to actually meet in person someone you've first met
on RatRod...you get to put a face with a handle &/or name.Those tanks came with that bike when I bought it from Terry at "Weird Stuff".
I think they go to a Columbia step thru (woman's) frame.Jon,down at "Back in the Day Bicycles" in Parkville,has one in his shop.Hope you get a great build out of her or at least some good parts.Lets do a Pub Crawl sometime,Jon has one com'in up...Pappy 8)

Back