Murray Westport sizing for new parts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what sizes a Murray Westport takes. I posted about a new headset a couple minutes ago but need info on some other things like a new BB, crank, pedals, handlebars, seatpost, stem, and handlebars. Well I guess pretty much everything! (I know it's a lot to ask)

For the crank I've found that the most common size is 6 1/2" with 650mm arms which I'm pretty sure matches my current one (which is all rusted out). Would a crank with holes for 9/16" pedals still work? Are the crank widths the same?

For the BB I'm pretty sure the one that I have is 24 tpi so any other one with 24tpi would work as well?

For the seatpost I'm looking at one with a layback style, anyone know if 7/8" (22.2mm) is the norm?

Also need info on the stem and handlebars too if anyone knows of it. Basically I'm wondering if everything has kind of a "universal fit" as I need to replace alot of parts on this bike due to rust (if I can't get it off). Thanks for the help!

Generally most parts should clean up good with a little elbow grease. Have you tried some 000 Steel wool with some WD-40? That generally get most rust off.

If you want to buy new parts, most parts are standard unless you are dealing with a Schwinn. The BB is for sure standard. There are usually two sizes of stems 21.1mm and 22.2 mm. It should be written on your old stem. Make sure to buy a stem that will fit your handlebars. BMX and some cruiser/chopper bars are 7/8" and Cruisers, older road bikes and misc bikes use a 1"/25.4mm bars. That measurement is for the center where the stem clamps down. You can buy the crank with a 9/16" pedal holes but that is odd combo.

It may be cheaper to buy a donor bike for the parts needed.

A 1-piece crank w/9/16" pedal holes would be a pretty strange animal, I wouldn't like to place a wager on what it might fit. If you're talking about using a 3-pc. crank on a 1-pc. bike, an adapter crank set is needed, the BB system is completely different.
http://www.bikeworldusa.com/index.php/c ... 273583d8f3
If my assumption that we're talking 1-pc. setup is mistaken, 3-pc. are almost all the same, with the exception of French bikes and some really old Italion oddballs.

I'm on my way to the hardware store after work to grab some steel wool. I read that trick somewhere else too but haven't tried it yet. Hopefully most of the parts will come clean with that trick and a little diesel.

I ordered a new BB and crank last night, thanks for the heads up. I've been seeing cranks (yup we're talking 1-piece) with 9/16" holes everywhere, which is strange because I thought it was an odd combo too.

The stem after looking VERY closely at it is 21.1 and fits a 1" handlebar. Seatpost is a straight 7/8" so I think I'll be getting this one. I was going to get the one with the support but i think with the angle of the seapost tube it'll be angled back too much.

Back