Muscle bike score

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
OK.... I know you all saw these on the "for sale" section and I hope that you guys were able to hook up with some of the other bikes. That thread was an extreme bike high for a couple days. The thought of what may have been lurking in there was killing me.
At any rate, I was quick enough on the draw to snatch these 2 bikes from him ( for a steal ) and the deal went very smooth. Bikes arrived safe and sound yet will not be unboxed for a while as I have too many projects right now.

The Ramshorn is pretty obvious as far as model but the red one seems to be pieced together??? It seems that all the parts are stamped schwinn and the tires are old school schwinn but what model is this? I will pull them out for serial numbers if needed. Red one is a repaint for sure at some time. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

yeah the red ones a crate I had one almost identical to it as a kid.
the rear tires not original.
I'm not positive about to chain guard...

Original Ramshorns would say Ramshorn on the chainguard too, looks like someone added the bars there. They do look like schwinn bars though

Krates had their own guards with the Krate name on them.

Thanks for the good info guys. I think these details could be easily taken care of though surely not on a cheap level. I have been looking at all of the parts mentioned above. I see why they are missing!!!! I think i remember now why i never got into the muscle bike thing. Haha

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

The red bike looks like a Krate. The repaint, shifter being a 68 but yet having a front fender leads me to believe someone either had a krate they painted & made some changes to or pieced together. Rear tire would have been a colorline slik , not a white wall, seat would have been white with corresponding stripe (only made an Apple, Orange & Lemon) in 68. So I think the 68 shifter was added. Serial number on the left rear dropout will tell you year & month.

the Ramshorn is NOT a Ramshorn, it is a fastback & the serial number might be on the left rear dropout but I have a feeling on this one it will be on the bottom left of the front of the headtube. Ramshorns did say so on the guard but also has the flags on the seat tube & used rat trap pedals.
Really good bikes for the money but will take more money to get them to be nice. Most guys part these.kinds of bikes out in this condition since they are not original. I would keep both & collect the right parts & restore them. The "krate" has the right parts to make it worth your time

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back