MW tire sizes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, all. I am converting a '61 Schwinn Corvette to 26" rims. I am trying to figure out how wide of a tire I can fit in there. I am hoping to keep the original fenders (which look very wide).

Considering that the 26" rim is slightly smaller diameter, might I fit a wider tire in there? I would really like a Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35". But I would settle for the 2.15".

I did something similar with a 2.125 tire on my Heavy Duti frame, but only with plastic fenders.

How big can I go and still fit in the middle weight fenders?

Thanks!

Middleweight bikes are designed for 1.75 tire widths. However, I have an old Huffy that came with 1.75 tires that allows 2.0 tires to spin freely within the original fenders.

Schwinn middle weight bikes with fenders usually can take 2.125 non knobby tires. With the conversion you’re going to try you will find that the Schwinn fender arch won’t match the new wheels/tires. You can play with chain length, gearing, rear fender position adjustment and a minimum of fender fold bending to get the rear to fit better but it won’t be perfect. The front leaves more limited options. You can file the stay holes and hand bend the fender a little. It’s not too bad but don’t expect it not to be obvious unless you faniggle things. I usually replace the fenders, but you will still have to customize the mounts so they will be obvious replacements. Here is a middlenweight 59 Schwinn with standard 26 in replacement wheels. You can see where the front of the rear fender has been stretched. The rear of the rear fender is closer to the wheel than I would like but it’s pretty good, most folks wouldn’t notice. I’m pretty sure I extended the length of the rear fender stay. The rear cog is larger than original to help center the wheel in the fender. A short front fender hides the poor fit well. I still bent it a little. I doubt Schwalbe 2.35 will fit. If you can get them in there they will most likely rub when deformed during cornering.
9E53B63C-83E1-4988-9B89-4BEDE68D9E74.jpeg

Last edited:
Schwinn middle weight bikes with fenders usually can take 2.125 non knobby tires. With the conversion you’re going to try you will find that the Schwinn fender arch won’t match the new wheels/tires. You can play with chain length, gearing, rear fender position adjustment and a minimum of fender fold bending to get the rear to fit better but it won’t be perfect. The front leaves more limited options. You can file the stay holes and hand bend the fender a little. It’s not too bad but don’t expect it not to be obvious unless you faniggle things. I usually replace the fenders, but you will still have to customize the mounts so they will be obvious replacements. Here is a middlenweight 59 Schwinn with standard 26 in replacement wheels. You can see where the front of the rear fender has been stretched. The rear of the rear fender is closer to the wheel than I would like but it’s pretty good, most folks wouldn’t notice. I’m pretty sure I extended the length of the rear fender stay. The rear cog is larger than original to help center the wheel in the fender. A short front fender hides the poor fit well. I still bent it a little. I doubt Schwalbe 2.35 will fit. If you can get them in there they will most likely rub when deformed during cornering.
Thanks us56456712! Your Corvette is exactly the setup I am trying to do. I just picked up a 61 Corvette at the swap meet.

I did think a 2.3" tire was probably a little overly ambitious. Oh well.

I was thinking that you might scooch the front of your rear fender 1/2" aft with a coupling nut (AKA barrel nut) between the bracket on the frame and the fender. Wouldn't be very obvious unless you were staring down at the bottom bracket of your bike.

Greetings, all. I am converting a '61 Schwinn Corvette to 26" rims. I am trying to figure out how wide of a tire I can fit in there. I am hoping to keep the original fenders (which look very wide).

Considering that the 26" rim is slightly smaller diameter, might I fit a wider tire in there? I would really like a Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35". But I would settle for the 2.15".

I did something similar with a 2.125 tire on my Heavy Duti frame, but only with plastic fenders.

How big can I go and still fit in the middle weight fenders?

Thanks!
I currently have 2.125 on my 62 corvette.

Latest posts

Back