My 1st bike build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never built a bike from nothing so a few weeks back I saw a frame on ebay that I thought I could do something with. It wasn't expensive, so what have I got to loose right??

4332731281_6e529599b7_b.jpg

I wanted to make a Board track style bike so I knew I had to trim the fat off the frame to get it looking right :mrgreen:

Heres what I cut off

4334637423_f1b7bf8596_b.jpg

Once the frame was ready I had a go at painting it, once again this is something I have never done before and it took a few attempts to get it looking reasonable. Its by no means perfect but it will have to do for now

boarttracker015.jpg

Parts shopping was fun, I was guessing a lot of the sizes but I was lucky and mots of the bits I bought were good to go

Bottom bracket

boarttracker009.jpg

Cranks

boarttracker010.jpg

The rims I bought are probably the best component on the bike

4334595341_53871d9322_b.jpg

Anyway on to the build...

A friend of mine gave me a link to a bike on ebay that had the perfect forks for my project so they were the 1st part to be fitted

4376259124_a9cb725bac_b.jpg

as you can see they needed to be cut down a bit as they were a little tall for what I wanted :mrgreen:

4376277852_d591cb413f_b.jpg

Thats more like it!

I wasn't happy with the bars so I bought a pair of motorcycle clip on bars to make its stance even lower.

4395439216_fec85fea1f_b.jpg

The bars are fully adjustable so I can adjust the angle of them to suit.

4394688715_30bfbd1659_b.jpg

They will be cut down as they look a bit wide as they are.

Thats as far as I have go at the moment, I will be working on it all weekend as I have the finishing line in sight now :mrgreen:

Re: My 1st bike built from scratch

From your title I thought you were going to building your frame. Your on the same type of build I'm doing right now. Right down to the clipons. I'm still waiting for my fork to come in. What size diameter are the legs on the fork?

I think it looks pretty cool. Not to mention the diameter of the fork legs since I've got a pair of clipons I'm trying to sell that just happen to be for 36mm legs. Sweet! What size is that frame cause it seems really short. Hopefully my frame is a little longer otherwise I don't know how much of a rider it'll be being that scruntched up. I think if tossed a nice sized headlight it'd give the frontend a good look.

4332731281_6e529599b7_b.jpg

as a stock frame its stands at 20" but I have cut the seatpost right down to achieve the correct stance.
Its not the most comfy bike to ride especially as I'm over 6ft tall but its a bit of fun :wink:
I got my forks from a jesse james chopper if thats any help to you

Awesome for a first bike.

hi bomberman. that one heck of a sweet ride. i was considering buying one of these frames, and putting apes on it. just a few questions: where did the forks and tyres come from? i definately need these type of tyre for my maverick rat! i am sure i could find a bike from the dump to put some forks like that on too!

where did the other bike come from? is it a schwinn? i have never found a vintage american bike in the uk at a reasonable price (judging by the frame sticker)

i love the modern classic builds - the clip-ons are really awesome.

great work and you had some good luck getting the chain to fit without a tensioner

Pretty much everything on the bike was sourced throgh ebay!
Rims from ebay, new spokes from bike shop front hub from my stash and the rear coaster from ebay also!
The tyres are from a 2010 bomber
Forks from a jesse james chopper thing
I took a month to build only working on it at weekends, I' really pleased with it amd I'd like to thank you for your kind comments.

the new/old bike beside it was bought yesterday at a hot rod auto jumble and I was very pleased t find it !!

4414577818_d3ef1b81cd_b.jpg

4413822207_2757a97b02_b.jpg

Back