My '62 Holden ute

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
67578_1680594941481_1435792202_31746258_7388443_n.jpg

I just picked this up this morning 8) Got a long list of little things I want to sort out, like with any old car :lol: Came with a visor so I'll chuck that back on, take the towball off for now and chuck the bumperettes back on, paint the steelies with some colour (copper or yellow/cream not sure yet), maybe some removable timber rails on the tray side tops, and maybe some signage for the blog on the doors. Of course some bike hauling is in store, hence buying a ute!

Man its good to be driving a column shift again! Takes me back to driving my first car
EK039.jpg

EK032.jpg

EK045.jpg

EK030.jpg

Drivers arm! :lol:
EK048.jpg

Cool EK hewey. My Dad had a white ute when I was a kid......loved that car. I was actually on the lookout for an EK when I found my Mk2 Zephyr.....the previous owner almost gave it me :D . It's a work in progress though, probably take another 12 - 18 months to get back on the road.

A brief history of the Ute for our non-Aussie brothers:
http://www.rumrunners.com.au/index.php? ... &Itemid=16

ok that is way cool and i thought earlyround body falcons were cool. what is in that thing? maybe a bit lower in the back and wide white walls

what is in that thing? maybe a bit lower in the back and wide white walls

138 cube straight 6. She sits just right for me - the first day I had it I was driving on dirt roads, and I plan on using it to haul stuff, so a little ground clearance is good.

Threw some color at the wheels :mrgreen:
EK.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

On the weekend I got Neo Dutch to pinstripe the EK and add some nose art to the front quarters. It adds some colour to help break up the grey, and also makes it more individual. Its probably not to everyones taste, but its not everyone's car :wink:
ek088.jpg

With the pinstriping on the front I told him colours and rough size, but otherwise gave him free reign to create something. The end result is some amazing pinstriping which is nice and different to most pinstriping that you see.
ek091.jpg

ek094.jpg

Liana and I have decided to call the ute 'She's Apples', and I wanted some WWII inspired nose art low down on the guards. Again Neo Dutch came up trumps in terms of really capturing what I wanted and that nose art style.
ek090.jpg

ek097.jpg

'She's Apples' was a famous bomber that my grand uncle crewed on in PNG back in WWII. It was 22nd squadron and they flew Boston bombers. Here's my great uncle working on one of the Boston bombers (he's in the light pants facing the plane in the middle)
OG0370

This is 'She's Apples', the nose art was actually a dog with earmuffs, but we thought an apple would be cooler (artistic license :p )
OG0448

The Bostons served with No 22 Squadron where their operations became known as "Boston Tea Parties" and individual aircraft became legendary. Wing Commander Learmonth's "She's Apples" set a South-West Pacific bombing record; Flight Lieutenant Williamson's A28-5 was belly-landed with a bomb load and was back in operations within hours; and, most famous of all, Flight Lieutenant Bill Newton's A28-3 crashed off Salamaua on 18 March 1943, prior to his post-humous Victoria Cross award.

Just to add to that, Learmonth Airport in WA is named in honour of Charles Learmonth who piloted 'She's Apples' :D :D The plane and Learmonth also played a key roll in the Battle of the Bismark Sea. A book about Learmonth has been written, its called Wings of Destiny.

This is a cool article from back in the day about how the bomber got its name :D Basically when they got back from a mission the crew were asked how she flew, and the answer was always 'Shes the apples'
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17863178

I wonder how much it'd cost to get a ute shipped over here and converted to left hand drive. Those are sweet.

Latest posts

Back