My 65 MUSTANG Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I picked up this basket case several years ago. The trailer was in really bad shape when I towed it home. Now I know just how bad, I'm probably pretty lucky it made the 20 mile journey! Motor is shot due to improper storage after a bilge fire. Anyone got a 289 block kicking around?

65mustang001.jpg

boat0629001.jpg

boat0629005.jpg

This is the frame rail just ahead of the axles, both sides let go as I was jacking it up. Center trailer strut is totally rusted away and not connected at the back
boat0629003.jpg

See, it's a Mustang, here's the pony
65mustang003.jpg

and the crispy 289
65mustang013.jpg

here's the trailer I'm working on for it. going to flip the axle to drop the height about 6", add some additional steel cross members and 2x10 PT bunks. Possibly running boards if I can scrounge up the materials for it.
65mustang022.jpg

1500lbs and 210hp = fun

Should be good for 45mph or so, but they have tons of torque so pulling 6-7 people out of the water is no problem. For comparison my 1979 Peterborougth GTX speedboat with a 70hp Evinrude can barely do one on slalom.

In my ignorance i bought a Mercruiser 289 from an Inboard/outboard. Unfortunately these spin left hand and mine is right hand. There is a way around this but I'm leaning toward selling the IO powerplant and doing it right.

Make sure you reinstall a bilge blower. I think the 351 on my 89' 2001 is getting tired. Pulling 3 out on slalom skis is about it.

Gotta love an old Correct Craft.

The blower motor was part of the reason leading to this boat's demise. fuel in the bilge and a stray spark lit it right off.

Wish I could find some photos of mild custom ski boats, I dont think I'm going totally back to stock on this one.

Tonight I got it on the trailer, looks to be a great fit. One rim has a rusted valve stem hole so I'll have to weld that up. I'm so glad it's off the cribbing finally.

I flipped the axle and dropped the ride height 7". Just need some cool fenders now, and fabricate some side guides, and a bow stop, and run some conduit for lighting, and ........................................................................

Latest posts

Back