my bike chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a huffy (cranbrook?) and i have bought two different chains and not one has fit. Can anyone help me with finding the right chain. thanx in advance.....Fatkidd

if it is the link size that does not work u are probably purchasing , mtb aka mountain bike chains which have a smaller link size , if the chain links fit but length is a problem u can get a link kit and add some length or spare chain and chain tool push link pin out , get spare chain and making sure that u have the male and female side of the link , grind one end of pin that u pushed out of chain making it easier to reinstall , then push link back in securely . hope this helps.

If you are buying Bell chains at wal-mart, they are never long enough for cranbrook size cruiser bikes.

I just have an extra chain that I sacrifice about 5 links from to make them long enough.

bikeworldusa has a box of 100 master/repair links for a good price.

http://www.bikeworldusa.com/product_inf ... ts_id/2780

be aware that the picture shows a 3 piece master link, but the description is correct, they are 2 piece links that just snap together. They are chrome, so they might stand out depending on the color of your chain.

If you look at the front of the chain ring, you will see one of these links in use, and a few links down the master link that came with the Bell chain.

snowflakechainring.jpg

Hope this helps.

There are three chain measurements, any of which could be making your chain a poor fit.

Width: This is the distance between the plates that make up the chain. Hubs with one cog (single speed, coaster brake, internally geared, and track) use 1/8" wide chain. Hubs with multiple cogs (multi-speed freewheels, and cassettes) use 3/32" wide chain.

Length: How long is the chain when layed out in a straight line? Every bike will require a different length chain. Luckily, you can use a chain tool to take links off the chain, or to add links to the chain. To figure out how long the chain needs to be, drape it through the rear triangle and over the cogs. Make sure the wheel is most of the way forward in the dropouts. Grab both ends of the chain and try to complete the loop. If the ends don't meet, add a few links. If the ends overlap, take a few links off so the ends only overlap 1/2 a link to a whole link. Reconnect the ends, and pull the wheel back into the dropouts to set your chain tension.

Pitch: Pitch is the distance between chain pins. 1", also referred to as skiptooth, pitch was common a few decades ago. All new chains and cogs are 1/2" pitch. For simplicity's sake, let's just say 1" and 1/2" equipment is incompatible. Wear is a kind of pitch problem. Chain pins and cog teeth wear down, effectively changing their pitch. A new chain will not completely seat on a heavily used cog. Similarly, a heavily use chain will not completely seat on a new cog. Replace the old component will fix this problem.

If you do add links, don't push the link pin all the way out of the piece that you are installing. Push it almost all of the way out, but leave it inside the hole on the outer side of the link. This makes it easier to reinstall.

Back