My bike trailer got a workout today!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I went on my daily bike hunting rounds and it seemed like everywhere I turn there's another two wheeled thing trying to follow me home.
followed.jpg

First I went by the scrapyard and didn't see anything but my trailer found a sharp little sliver of metal and gave me a flat tire :x

Well anyway I go to the LBS to get a tube and it must have been fate... I spot this pile of stuff out back they were throwing away! In the mix was a Roadmaster 18 speed MTB that looks like new but needs a gear cluster on the back wheel (I have one around here somewhere) and wheel trued (Slight wobble), a Huffy Santa Fe ladies bike with bent handlebars and missing one bolt for the seat (Fixed), Two sets of double wall road bike wheels missing axles on one set and missing skewers on the other, and a boatload of used but good tires! :shock: Got to love freebies! :mrgreen: Well after getting it loaded (With flat tire) I go in and get a tube come out and it is POURING rail. I go back inside and shoot the breeze a bit and look at some of the bikes. 5 minutes later the rain stopped. :lol: Indiana weather for you :roll: So I got the tube in and aired up without a hitch.
Todayshaul8102012009.jpg

Todayshaul8102012004.jpg

Todayshaul8102012008.jpg

Todayshaul8102012007.jpg

Todayshaul8102012005.jpg

Todayshaul8102012006.jpg

Then I went to look at a moped a friend of mine told me about and bought this little gem for $100! 1984 Yamaha QT-50
Todayshaul8102012002.jpg

Todayshaul8102012001.jpg

Then on the way home with moped in tow I go by the scrapyard and spot this hanging out of a scrap bin :shock: Still has the little tags on the wheels!
Todayshaul8102012003.jpg

Cleaned it up and threw on a seat and post I had laying around, aired the tires and it's ready to go! The price? $8 big bucks :mrgreen:
Todayshaul8102012010.jpg

Iron Horse :? Never heard of them. Got to love the Ferrari style head badge though. :lol:
Todayshaul8102012013.jpg

Then to make it better just as I rolled in my yard with my haul, a friend of mine rides up on his moped and says he was looking for a moped for his girlfriend and asks about the one on my trailer. I told him I paid $100 for it and he says he'd give me $120 for it and I don't have to do anything to it. :mrgreen: $20 profit in 20 minutes! (Friend price or it would have been $50)

I have seen Iron Horse bikes at my local Walmart. Even though they are Walmart bikes they are one of their most expensive ones and look decently well made. :)
Nice finds! I would have bought that moped too. lol

moped is cool , and the iron horse is also ! , sold at sporting good chain stores , they are decent bikes i have had a couple :wink:

Awesome! thanks guys. I think as soon as she rides it my fiance will lay claim to the Iron Horse. The moped was a little on the rough side which is why I took the quick profit on it. I figure I wouldn't have to buy the ignition, speedometer, brake handle, seat re-cover kit, rear turn signals, rear fender, then get it running, clean it up, and then time to post it and wait out a buyer, be haggled down and probably make the same profit anyway.

I remember we sold iron horse bikes back in the 80's at the shop where I got my 1st mechanic job.

They were mid level bikes as I recall

Back