my Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this started out as a rusty old 24" Colson that i got from another member here. dunno what his user name is, but i saw the bike here after i bought it.

anyway...

i turned it into a motor bike...

16899d1259967604-backwards-engine-experiment-1939-colson-colson24-001.jpg

16900d1259967633-backwards-engine-experiment-1939-colson-finished-dec4-002.jpg

i dig the flipped cylinder do you have to mod anything to do this?

looks awesome! makes me wanna do that to my 24" CWC bike. :mrgreen: and how did you make the rear hub work with skiptooth and roller chain?

thanks for the responses.

first, for the reversed engine set-up, you need to turn the jug around and match the transfer ports on the case. takes about 20 minutes with a dremel.

the piston needs to be turned around, too, or the rings will hang up on the intake port.

then it's just a matter of bending the exhaust and modifying the intake manifold so the carb fits. i just cut mine smaller and grinded it down so the carb slips on.

as for the skip tooth set up, the wheels are Worksman with a Bendix 76 hub, and i just grinded off every other tooth on the rear cog. the engine drive chain is normal with a #41 roller chain, and the rear sprocket is a 30t Aermacchi/Harley steel sprocket. i had to grind the teeth a little skinnier so the chain would fit.

i was using aluminum sprockets, but the engine drive was tearing them up.

the drive chain is on the other side. i have a sprocket adapter that clamps onto the hub shell with three "prongs" that stick through the spokes, and the sprocket is mounted to that, so the hub drives the wheel.

the normal mounting method you get with the kit is some backing plates, some reinforced rubber "rag-joints" that go on either side of the spokes, and then the sprocket bolts to that. this makes the spokes drive the wheel, and you end up with broken spokes, crooked sprockets, and jumping chains.

here's where i got the adapter: http://home.roadrunner.com/~bikeparts/s ... dapter.htm

Bairdco,
The colson is looking pretty sweet. I saw that you put on a thirty tooth rear sprocket and wondered How you got the thing rolling off the line, then realized it's a 24" bike. Looks pretty stout and the wheels look totally super duty. Putting the carb up front is also a cool idea and must give a little ram air effect. Nice job saving the chain guard. Nice build.

thanks, sportscarpat.

it really doesn't struggle with the 30 on it. granted, i'm only 135lbs, but i was pulling away from everyone at the LA ride, including Maxvision's jackshaft kit stretch.

i had a 32 on a 26" bike, and it was about the same.

dunno about the ram air. i took a rock hit on the air cleaner and it made a big hole in it, and now it four-strokes a little. probably have to go a lot faster and mess with the jetting to see any actual effects.

and those are the worksman clinchers. they're like freaken motorsickle wheels.

It looks like your still running the NT style carb. I switched over to the CNS carbs and really like them. With the NT carb my bike ran fine as long as I was accelerating, but when I tried to hold a throttle setting and just cruise it would get that four stroking feel. The CNS carb cured all that. I think it has to do with a better tapered needle in the carb. Fun stuff, these little two strokes.

i've had no probs with the NT. i polished it inside and out, and grinded the intake and the out-take (?) step downs smooth. dunno if that makes sense, but i made it flow a lot better without getting into jetting. it works great at all speeds. plus, my intake manifold's like 1" long, just long enough for the carb to fit without hitting the engine.

oh, and i also put a piece of electrical tape over the hole the rock made in my air cleaner, and no more four stroking. it's just temporary.

but i think it was sucking too much air with the hole in it.

Back