My Columbia build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the contest is almost over I'm going to start my buildup. I am starting with this Columbia girls bike which has a serial number of 296738. The number dates it at 1970 or 71 according to a chart I saw online but I thought it was older. I bought the bike at a swap meet for $20 a year or so ago. It was already primered and all I did to it so far was change the handlebars and neck, the seat and the tires. Well here she is the way I got it and after the changes.....
P9240030.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

I'm going to do a sex change operation to this bike using a piece of the flat top tube from an old trampoline. This picture is a mock up with masking tape holding the top tube in place just to get an idea of what it will look like. I'm also going to give it a straight bar beneath the top tube because I like the look.
IMG_0159.jpg

The bike will get a flat black paint job and probably pinstripes. I'm blending old school/rat rod with high tech on this bike because I plan in riding it alot. The high tech part will be the rear hub. I'm using a Nexus Internal gear 8 speed hub with roller brake. The rims came from a trash find fuji girls bike. I got the spokes from the lbs and my friend Magic Rat laced it up for me. Thanks!
IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

I may also lay back the seat tube a couple of inches to give me a little more leg room. Not sure though. Opinions welcome........ Does anyone know why the right side of all my pics get cut off?

They're loking good from here... Do you have a small monitor? Is there an horizontal scroll bar on the bottom of your window?

Hugo

Can you see the whole wheel in those shots? It was a full wheel picture and I can only see about an inch to the right of the hub. I don't a have a scroll bar at the bottom either.

Kustom Kreator said:
I may also lay back the seat tube a couple of inches to give me a little more leg room. Not sure though. Opinions welcome........ Does anyone know why the right side of all my pics get cut off?
I also lose the right side of pics. If I close my dashboard that is on the side, the forum enlarges enough to get the full pictures...Kelly

Lookin' good so far John.Keep those progress pics coming.

You KNOW I like that bike.

Looks like a fun build.

I have NEVER dealt with disc brakes on a bike before, are they all only a disc on one side like this one? How does that work? I would assume that the caliper would stick on the other side.

Those aren't disc brakes, they're drum brakes. The disc-like sections are radiators for cooling purposes. But yeah, they're misleading. :)

Hugo

Hey Kustom, check out "Judy is a Punk" in the Finished Bikes.

Back