My crank.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've searched around with no luck on this one. It came out of my Goodyear Hi-Way Patrol bike. This Ashtabula code makes no sense to me.
A-4027-S-15
Thanks.
20140501_054610.jpg

Schwinn was the only one notable for date codes on cranks, with a few prewar, then again starting around '58. A Westfield/Columbia like yours is easily dated by the first letter of the serial #. -Adam

Schwinn was the only one notable for date codes on cranks, with a few prewar, then again starting around '58. A Westfield/Columbia like yours is easily dated by the first letter of the serial #. -Adam
Thanks Adam, that is the reason I was asking about a possible date on the crank. The serial number looks like it was engraved over the stamped letter/numbers. I'll show you a pic. If you dare to guess :^)
20140501_141647.jpg

Could be a C, which would be '58, or E, which is actually 59. They repeated and also skipped letters, reasons unknown. They didn't use F in that era. -Adam

Could be a C, which would be '58, or E, which is actually 59. They repeated and also skipped letters, reasons unknown. They didn't use F in that era. -Adam
Adam, thanks. Some other odd things with the bike while I have you on the line ;-) Perry hub, with metric axle nuts 15mm? We're they done with tanks by this time on a middleweight? Plastic inserts in the frame for the fender screws. And the Skyhawk chainguard. Is that even Columbia?
20140430_163602.jpg

Well, the Perry hub sounds right. Shouldn't be metric, of course 15mm is close to 9/16. I'm starting to think that guard is original, given the patina and the matching paint under the frame stay. They did still have tanks on some models, though they were smaller. My 62 I posted in your other thread has a small tank, and I also have a 61 that doesn't. I'd say the plastic inserts came later.

Back