My Current Bikes and Future Projects.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just signed up, intro post is here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73216

This first one, I bought new from K-mart back when I was about 17 (around 2006). The only K-mart item left is the frame (so there isn't much point in listing what I've done/changed).
I've probably spent way, way too much money on it for what it is (I sold a car to finish it off in time for an event) although I haven't touched it since I finished it about 4 years ago.
Most people who own these frames usually go down the full blown chopper inspired route but I wanted something a little more I dunno... layed back.

The fenders are full of dents and it is surface rusting in areas but I won't be fixing it, I'll let it age and patina over time whilst keeping it rideable. Oh and yes, the gauges really work
(powered by a rear tyre generator).

Picture6863.jpg

Picture6864.jpg

Picture6865.jpg

Picture6866.jpg

Picture6875.jpg

This next one which is currently hanging in the garage I picked up around 6 or so months ago at a swap meet, it's an original Roadmaster Convertible.
The top frame bar can be removed to become either a girls bike or be left on to remain a boys bike.

I've put larger bars on it, a banana seat and sissy bar but that's all I'm doing. I'll just re-grease all the movable parts, add brakes and it'll be my sons when he's old enough to ride it.
I've been told it's a rare bike as it still has the 'convertible bar' in place as most were lost or thrown out but I don't know if there's any truth to that. I do have an original headlight and
rear tyre generator to go on it as well as maybe putting the gear stick off of the above bike on it and cable it up to work.

Picture6868.jpg

Picture6869.jpg

Picture6870.jpg

Picture6871.jpg

Finally this last one I've just mocked up to show the direction it's going in, it will be sort of more cafe racer inspired. The seat (which is the original springer seat off of the Roadmaster)
will sit lower than that once it's all put together properly. The front of the frame has been cut and layed back to lower the front without heating up and bending forks which will probably
become weak in the process. The front forks which are off of an 80's BMX will be swapped for 70's racing bike forks, overall it will be pretty minimalist.

Picture6872.jpg

Picture6873.jpg

Picture6874.jpg

I'm also currently working on a 2010-ish model Stingray that will be built in a traditional '40s motorbike dirt racer style, will get photos of that shortly.

Nice rides Matt!

I think we may have the "Malvern Star" twin to your little convertible at home, not in as good shape paint wise but otherwise all there! Slightly different in the rims and fittings, but the frame seems to be a match.

Love the wagon, very cool, we have a soft spot for early Falcons, favourite being the XP, but don't mind the others in the first series either. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing your Stingray dirt racer, sounds very cool!

Luke.

Thanks Luke, and thanks for signing up over at KustomAuto.

After mocking up the Stringray last night, I might be limited in what I do as it's my brothers bike and I'm just building it.
I realised it had too much rake to be a dirt racer and that the forks would have to be shortened, but my brother doesn't want me
to modify it too much other than just cosmetically, so I may save the dirt racer idea for something else and just build the Stingray as a bobber
as that's what it more or less is turning out as. I'll get some photos up later today if I remember/ have time.

This is the one I was going to build into a dirt racer but as it's my brothers and he won't allow me to cut down the forks
it'll probably just end up being a bobber.

I should have taken photos of it before, he's 16 and he's the sort of kid that rides only BMX & mountain bikes and every bike
has to be ridden as if it's a BMX. The seat was about 30cm in the air, it had smallish ape hangers on it that were leaned back
so he could stand up and ride, he's not entirely happy with what I'm doing to it but I'm trying to explain to him
that these sort of bikes aren't meant to be ridden how he thinks, they're more cruisers and not thrash around bikes.

He reckons if he can't ride it, he'll probably be putting it back to how it was, chances are he won't be able to ride it...

Picture6877.jpg

Picture6878.jpg

I'm not sure what the headlight is off, I have a pair. I'm pretty sure they're tractor headlights.
I mounted it using a cut-down neck, I tryed it mounted above the neck so it sat above the bars
but it just looked like a bad 80's chopper.

Picture6876.jpg

Picture6879.jpg

I've since also mounted the cut down rear guard.

I always thought the "convertible" bike was a great idea, as bikes tend to get handed down from from one kid to the next. I once saw a convertible where the removable top tube was a faux tank.

Back