My Dream Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a 2009 Transition Bottlerocket to replace my '05 Iron Horse SGS Team that is insanely heavy and now has a broken pivot and a blowing shock. I am going to build it up with Mavic Deemax's, Sram X.0 rear deraileur, X.9 shifters, Manitou Sherman Breakout 170mm fork, I can't wait till it comes. :D

BottleRocketFrame_BlueYellow.jpg

I got my frame on Wendsday and started to build it up with the parts I already had but I am still waiting to get a new front tire, chaiguide, bottom bracket and seatpost.

100_5815.jpg

100_5816.jpg

100_5817.jpg

It's finally done, I took it for a ride today and could only find a few 3-4ft drops and jumps but it's rides really nice.

100_6039.jpg

Dude! That bike is SICK! Can I come and hang out at ur place!? :lol: I noticed that you changed the rear shock around? Why? Dude, I saw this Gary Fisher MTB at my LBS for $2k...That bike has NOTHING on this one! Your's looks like you could ride it off the roof of a house... :mrgreen:

The first pic of the frame with the shock the other way is off Transition's website and I put my shock on that way because it is easier to adjust, I just took it for a 20 mile XC ride and it did pretty well for a 38lbs. single ring bike.

This frame makes me think of this band. They only had this one hit if I recall correctly. Can't find the stdio track. It's a great song.
The Bottlerockets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UChXDgW0a4A

that's a great band name.

I really want to get into mountainbiking and apparently there are some cool spots to do it around here but can't decide what kind I want to build up. I really like the idea of a vintage solid frame updated with some modern components but after seeing all of these cool suspension bikes im wondering if I should just go ahead and do something more modern.

Once you ride a full suspension bike mountain bike you'll never want to ride a hard tail again unless it's a XC racer or a DJ'er.

It kind of depends on how/where you ride. A lot of riders prefer hard tail for trail riding , but if you do big drops, or like to really blast through rip-rap, full suspension is the way to go. You can actually get fairly extreme w/ no suspension at all when your bones are young and springy, but 1 big drop will bring the fun to a quick halt. :x :?

deorman said:
It kind of depends on how/where you ride. A lot of riders prefer hard tail for trail riding , but if you do big drops, or like to really blast through rip-rap, full suspension is the way to go. You can actually get fairly extreme w/ no suspension at all when your bones are young and springy, but 1 big drop will bring the fun to a quick halt. :x :?

I also have a hard tail also set up for urban riding but it's not nearly as fun unless your doing an urban sesh, or skate park stuff. Two years ago I went to whistler and came up short on a double, cased my bike, went over the bars. I ended up knocking out my front teeth, got a concusion and had to get 30 something stitches in my face all becuase I wasn't wearing my full face helmet. :x

Back