My Excelsior

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this one from an estate sale cheap. I really don't want to rat it out, Kind of like it as is?

bikes09003-1.jpg

bikes09004.jpg

bikes09006.jpg

bikes09007.jpg

bikes09008-1.jpg

no dont change a thing that bike is the bomb maybe though some different handle bars maybe some the old antique cross bars :shock:

That bike is really nice! I'd leave it as it is, just clean it thoroughly and polish the chrome parts. :)

yes, leave it as is other than the cleaning part! i bought a schwinn liberty at an auction last year and sold it on ebay and i kick myself everyday for it! you have to tell yourself, there will be a time when you won't find these jewels anymore and we need to hold on the original ones!

Bottom line, it's your bike, do what makes you happy.

I have to say, it's pretty rare to find a complete Excelsior in such good condition. As bikes are used, they tend to shed their parts. The tank gets dented, the owner throws it away. Eventually, the fenders go the same route. And often the chain guard gets damaged and removed.

I always say if an old bike has all the parts, keep them on. And if a bike is in such good condition as this one, keep it original. The only thing I would replace is the rims, because of the tire fit issues with S series rims. There's plenty of vintage frames on CL and ebay without all the other parts which you can rat rod.

home made lay back seat post, and different (cooler) bars, regrease everything and ride it. keep original bars and seatpost so you can return it to original. that's a cool bike.

I'd keep it original along with the nice petina. It's a guitar, just gets better with age. :D

Sworks has my vote 8) I Think of this bike as a vintage relic 57 Fender Stratocaster with all of the nicks,worn hardware and vibe for miles. Too bad the going rate is not the same though. too bad Eric Clapton does not play a 50's schwinn excelsior :p

blackphantom said:
Sworks has my vote 8) I Think of this bike as a vintage relic 57 Fender Stratocaster with all of the nicks,worn hardware and vibe for miles. Too bad the going rate is not the same though. too bad Eric Clapton does not play a 50's schwinn excelsior :p

My brother will soon hear of this post, he'll have himself a chuckle :lol: He's always at his poor old strat with a file or some other dangerous instrument trying to relic it. :D Sweet, sweet bike, I totally agree with your judgments. This is irreplaceable!

Back