My First Bike Build EVER - The RattleRod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone -

So here are the picks from my very first bike purchase ever! It's totally not a classic but like I said in my intro page I won't feel guilty screwing this bike up just to learn everything I need to know about bikes! Any help or ideas are welcomed full on so please feel free to say "Bad Idea" or "Run with it!", etc. This is a 2005 Diamondback Della Cruz that looks as if it has been pulled apart before to change out some things. It was a cheap find for me, especially not really knowing where to go to grab old bikes with potential.

2412967042_72cb543f37.jpg

2412966790_40eed13f63.jpg

2412966560_e3390b6d8e.jpg

2412966238_4ac9878817.jpg

2412140743_22efe2c4d1.jpg

2412965838_435a9c6aa6.jpg

2412139965_f0401efcd2.jpg

2412139669_65f7f83aae.jpg

One oddity that I found (or maybe this happens often?) is that the back tire is a Mongoose 26"x1.95 which is smaller than my front DSI brand 26"x2.125? I thought it was odd, but maybe that's something I haven't come across yet. Also, anyone have an idea what kind of handlebars these are? The only thing I have come up with in my research is that they might be Rams Horns? I think I'm wrong on that though. Also have a bent fender attachment that can be fixed easy. Any ideas on the rims (ZUMA 1.0)??? I could go out and find a new set of wheels but I might just stick with these guys and see if I can walk myself through painting them up.

So my idea is to call it the Rattlerod, just the first thing that popped in my mind when I heard that it was a Diamondback. Also because it has a slight rattle from the fenders being loose on the road (which will get fixed up) :eek:. I have a few ideas peeling through my head, some might be above my level right now but would be fun to try. We will see soon enough!

Main things to change would be that I would love to throw on a Springer fork, strip off the old paint and clean up the things I can (beginner stuff) as well as add some thick tires (I see quite a few people use 24"x3's???) in cream, then flick through a couple paint choices - flat black, campus green, or I might even go with an asian clunker theme and add some Chinese red! A new seat is needed as well, that was the most uncomfortable seat I have been on in ages! If I go with my Chinese Clunker theme I might even throw a back rack on it as well. The handlebars interest me because I personally haven't seen them before so I'd like to try and see what I could do with them (maybe turn them upside down for more of a racing style).

Any ideas or comments?!!! Again thanks so much to RatRod and all of you guys here for making this a fun site to jump on and not be afraid to do something new and unique. We all have to learn something new at sometime and it's nice to have a group of what I would call "pro's" looking at our work and helping us enjoy the craft as well!

Thanks again!

JP aka Jon aka ZAMN (Zombies Ate My Neighbors)

First purchase? What about the bike in the background? Anyways, I like this bike! Killer fenders! Odd handlebars :? These are "Ram Horn" So I am not sure what to call yours... lol
67RH2.jpg

If it were mine, I probably wouldnt paint it though. I would take care of the tire situation though and slap some WW's on there!!!
I keep looking at those bars and they are just funky, maybe some big ol moon bars would be a better fit? or Apes?

Anyways, nice bike, man! Cant wait to see what you do with it...

Hooch said:
I have a chrome set of handlebars just like that and I have been told many times they are off an excersize bike of some type

Hahhaha!! Really?!!! That is awesome, now I am soooo gonna have to try to use them sometime. Thanks for the info Hooch!

Hooch said:
I have a chrome set of handlebars just like that and I have been told many times they are off an excersize bike of some type

I thought they were the second set on a tandem,
Ya know they attach under the drivers seat and rise up and around.
That was just my assumption.

Back