My first Build, 26" Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first cruiser build and Ive already run into a few problems but at least Im gathering knowledge and getting experience along the way. The trike was in less than ok condition and IMO was a complete project bike when I purchased it. I think Im going to be able to salvage some of the parts to keep the cost down. This is my first go around with everything so needless to say Im learning along the way. Ive gotten a lot of help from the forum already and its really appreciated. I just got the bike back from powder and it looks pretty good. Heres a few pics to get the thread started. Please feel free to offer advice or opinions. Thanks.

2011-04-04_12-17-50_475.jpg

2011-04-04_12-18-35_311.jpg

Got the bike broken down and started stripping the paint. Steel wheel and some nasty paint remover, worked pretty well...

2011-04-11_14-45-26_422.jpg

2011-04-14_23-12-47_762.jpg

2011-04-15_13-52-24_469.jpg

2011-04-18_13-42-55_834-1.jpg

Had some trouble getting the rear wheels off of the axle but with some help from members of the forum at last I was able to get them off. I needed a steel punch to punch out a roll pin in the middle of each hub. They were stuck in there pretty tight and I broke three steel punches getting them out...
2011-04-21_15-35-45_624.jpg

Still need to strip the paint on the axle but I cleaned up the 3 speed hub to see what I was working with and.... Sturmey Archer...

2011-04-22_13-22-05_113.jpg

Just got the frame back from powder coat and it looks really good.... starting to come together.

2011-04-22_15-16-07_244-1.jpg

New Headset and stem...
2011-04-26_19-46-56_810.jpg

Painting the trike axle housing
2011-04-27_00-40-08_704.jpg

It came out pretty well. This is the only thing that didnt get powder coated. Rattle can and rattle clear coat
2011-04-27_13-14-01_860.jpg

Front wheel and fender installed...
2011-04-27_15-13-29_567.jpg

Complete rear end Mock Up, starting to come together... waiting on rear wheels
2011-04-28_15-18-21_513.jpg

Looks great, love the black and white. The only thing I like to see changed about all trikes is to add a top bar to convert it from a girls frame. Just the curse of the trike, mine is girly framed, and if I ever find a rear end I'll convert it.

Nice! i love my meridian i need to get a sturmy archer 3 speed my twns no hilly for a 1 speed 90 ib machine.

saw a frame like this today , but a two wheel, not a three. someone had taken off the back. i wondered what the weird little piece oif metal in the rear was for. and now i know. loving the build. esp the rims.

Thanks everyone, yes the wheels are my favorite and I payed quite a bit for them but I think in the end its going to be worth it. Its not a lowrider by any means but it does have some lowrider characteristics. The frame is a Foremost. Never heard of them and I googled them and basically found 2 references on the web about the bike or the company. The brand of the frame really didnt matter much because this wasnt going to be an authentic restoration. I wanted to do something custom and the reason why I needed a trike is because Im still rehabing from a motocross injury and I cant ride a 2 wheeler yet. At this point Im just waiting for the rear wheels to come in and I need to find some brake levers on ebay. Its starting to come along and I cant wait to ride it!

snydur said:
saw a frame like this today , but a two wheel, not a three. someone had taken off the back. i wondered what the weird little piece oif metal in the rear was for. and now i know. loving the build. esp the rims.
You mean a womens cruiser? :lol:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks good :D
I seen most trikes in blue like all 4 trikes iv owned but today i seen one in burgandy and its HOT!

Ok, got the wheels in from toplowrider.com shout out to them for coming through with the product and fast shipping. The rear wheels have bearings in them and are for the 5/8 which is what I have. The only problem is the axle setup isnt like a regular axle that uses a nut to hold the wheel on. On top of that problem is the fact that the rear wheels have bearings and need to be fixed to the axle in order to move. Im open for suggestions. I either need to take out the 5/8 axle sized bearings that came in the wheels and come up with my own sleeve insert or somehow weld the bearings so they are fixed and cant move. I dont even know if the second is possible and I dont do any fab work myself because Im pretty much a newb. This is the last hurtle to overcome and if I can do it, it will all be worth it in the end. I dont even want to know if theres not a fix for this issue, have too much invested now for this not to work. Definitely by all means seeking advice or help. Let me know what you think, here is the latest mock up.

1304399983928.jpg

1304402501935.jpg

j4roe said:
Ok, got the wheels in from toplowrider.com shout out to them for coming through with the product and fast shipping. The rear wheels have bearings in them and are for the 5/8 which is what I have. The only problem is the axle setup isnt like a regular axle that uses a nut to hold the wheel on. On top of that problem is the fact that the rear wheels have bearings and need to be fixed to the axle in order to move. Im open for suggestions. I either need to take out the 5/8 axle sized bearings that came in the wheels and come up with my own sleeve insert or somehow weld the bearings so they are fixed and cant move. I dont even know if the second is possible and I dont do any fab work myself because Im pretty much a newb. This is the last hurtle to overcome and if I can do it, it will all be worth it in the end. I dont even want to know if theres not a fix for this issue, have too much invested now for this not to work. Definitely by all means seeking advice or help. Let me know what you think, here is the latest mock up.

1304399983928.jpg

1304402501935.jpg
please pm a list of where you got the fenders/handlebars/seat post and wheels! my schwinn trike would look awesome with that combo! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ps. or email it to me at [email protected] make sure to include part #!

yoothgeye said:
Looks great, love the black and white. The only thing I like to see changed about all trikes is to add a top bar to convert it from a girls frame. Just the curse of the trike, mine is girly framed, and if I ever find a rear end I'll convert it.
Just unbolt the current rear and mount it to a cruiser.

yoothgeye said:
wolfy said:
Just unbolt the current rear and mount it to a cruiser.

No, that's the whole thing, I have everything BUT the rear axle housing. Worthless pile of parts.
then its not a trike its a wheel-less ladies frame?

Back