my first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,this is my first build,thought id throw some pics up and maybe i could get some constructive critisism.i started with a huffy single speed cruiser.i got it on the cheap,and it was in decent shape.it has a springer seat i want to cover in leather,or maybe leave bare depending on what it looks like underneath.i liked the way the frame was shaped.i started off with extensive planning,but that was never my strong suit.one night i started cutting and welding.so far i raked the headtube just a little,but i dont think it was enough for my taste.i chopped the rear triangle and put in some 1/2 inch rod just to mock up what the frame will look like.i stated with about 3 inch stretch.i think i may take the chainstays to 5 inches or so,to get the back end to drop a little bit.thats all i have so far,i posted a pick with the wheels on.id like to do a triple tree springer fork,but that could change.

2011-11-02_17-32-59_691.jpg

2011-11-15_20-29-31_217.jpg

not much progress really,but this is how i want the bike to sit.from here i want to do a springer front,using an old trailer leaf spring.im thinking of doing a springer rear,but i havent seen it done and dont know if it will pose problems when riding,besides being heavy as sin.i wanted to use a leafspring there as well.any ideas?
2011-11-26_16-17-26_215.jpg

Great start & lookin good. I personally like stretched bikes, makes it easier to fit a big fat tire on the back! 8)

auditech10 said:
... and maybe i could get some constructive critisism.

The bikes looks great the way it is. You asked for constructive critisism, I would say drop the angle of your seat post so the seat is closer to the back tire. It will allow you to sit a little lower and give that long and low look, and the pedals with be in front of you making it more comfy to ride. You would probably need to change the handle bars though. Either way, the bike looks great the way it is. Good job.

take alook at my STREET DIGGER. might give ya some ideas. looks good. I'll be putting up some more pic's later today.

Outlaw 8)

I was thinking of doing the bent seatpost I hear alot of people doing,similar to the post in the first pic of the street digger thread.that front fork is wicked by the way,great work outlaw.I am definitly changing the handle bars,not sure to what though.im not a fan of ape hangers.work is at a standstill til the new year,but ill keep the pics coming thanks for the feedback guys.

after a long time collecting dust,my first build is finally done.Its taken me even longer to post updates.heres a pic from the maiden voyage
332.jpg

and heres final pics for the 2012 photo contest
098.jpg

now that its done im looking to trade for a 26" boardtracker,i have it posted in the trade section

Good looking bike. I like the low lines. How does it handle with the extra rake on the fork? Very nice job. Keep building more.

the handling isnt too bad as long as you keep the speed up.the angle was tough on the downtube,which broke earlier this year.I was new to welding then,so i redid the welds and added some supports which you can sortof make out in the picture

Back