My First Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I can never just keep it simple: You get a bike without knowing what the final product will look like. You put it together and don't like it that much. End of story, right? Hmmm. I can't leave it at that. No, let me complicate it! :roll: Your old mountain biking routine isn't in the cards now, but you want to pedal something, so you're trying to find the right two wheels for this point in your life. If you can't tweak this ride into something you like, then it's smart to salvage what you can and move onto another rig. It's a process and you'll end up with something that feels right AND looks good.

When I look at your bike pictures, and try to envision ape handlebars, I can also see a banana seat on it. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Ledsled,

Thanks for your vision. Not sure how old you are, but I've lived that life already and don't wish to relive it again.

No offense, but that is what my late father envisioned in 1971 or so. He brought home a banana seat, ape bars and a sissy bar that seemed to be 2 feet above my head on my beloved 1964 Murray with 24" inch wheels, which was the first bike I had that wasn't ridden first by my older brother and the first bike I rode without training wheels. I hated that bike after the "Chiquita" Revolution because when I wiped out - which was often - I hate to admit, I was not able to swing my leg off the seat and ride the bike down because the sissy bar prevented me from doing so and sustained more scrapes to my knees, elbows and my pride!

Thanks, but I don't plan on adding additional scrapes, scars, and band-aids at this beginning stage of my own personal "old man's life". I'm starting to seriously look at 3 Wheeled bicycles/tricycles, because they hold more returnable beer cans/bottles with Cargo Baskets than the two wheel models we are discussing. In Michigan, every bottle/can returned is $0.10 cents. :p

Back