My first motorized project... Murray Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HWC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so this is my first attempt at a motorized bike. I wanted to try the engine kit on this bike and learn a little before moving on to a board track style bike. I have a few frames to choose from and would like to build a gas tank and mount engine lower in the frame, etc.

After about three hours or so over two evenings, this is what I have:

PersonalPics2009238.jpg

PersonalPics2009239.jpg

PersonalPics2009240.jpg

Nice job...those China Gurl motors straight out of the box need some minor mods to keep them running reliably...I would suggest checking Motoredbikes.com or motorbicycling.com (if you haven't already?) for the list of "to-dos" so you don't get stranded when she breaks down. Plug lead clutch mechanism are two that spring to mind that need attention...You can alos get a nice shift kit from Sikbikes so you can run the motor through the bikes gearing, be GREAT upgrade for the board tracker! add a tuned pipe and you will be passing cars LoL :)

Best of luck with the boardtracker builds, they are popular to motorise i have found from other sites :)

KiM

well, you got further than i did with my motorized blue Murray cruiser :) i couldn't pedal with the engine mounted low, and it was top heavy in this position:
molre.jpg

if i could fabricate and weld, i'd stretch my bike and mount the engine low and behind the seatpost:

mtrbike.jpg

deorman said:
Looks good from here. Does she go? Does she go? :wink: :wink:

Thanks! .... and YES it goes! :) I was not impressed with the power right out of the box, but the manufacturer/distributor suggests a 50 mile break-in period with 16:1 fuel mix, then 20:1 mix after that and suggest that power will increase. Also, they recommend keeping run time to no more than 30 minutes during break-in. I just rode it around easy for short distances each evening for a few days and it does seem to run better now. I have a very steep hill near my home and I rode up that hill, having to pedal, but it was fairly impressive.

It's fun and I look forward to making modifications, etc.

HWC

AussieJester said:
You can alos get a nice shift kit from Sikbikes so you can run the motor through the bikes gearing, be GREAT upgrade for the board tracker! add a tuned pipe and you will be passing cars LoL :)

Thanks for the thumb's up and info. regarding shift kit and pipe! I am looking forward to my next one! :D

HWC

UncleKudzu,

I would encourage you to find someone in your area that will take the time to help you with the fabrication.... It looks like you have good ideas and the skills to communicate your idea. That's a big part of it, so I look forward to seeing some cutting and welding from you! :D

HWC

if you just cut the bottem struts for the rear wheel and sit on the bike it will stretch it out for you then you just have to weld a piece of metal in the gap you made... or find some one to do it for you it wouldnt cost too much and its pretty easy w/o too much fab work

Back