MY FIRST PREWAR SCORE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
Are you sure it's not actually red? Pull the tank and look under the top bar. My 54 Columbia looks like a brown, but it's actually an aged red.

I think the finish is too even to have aged this way, but when I open the tank I'll let you know.

I think you might be surprised. My DX is almost the same color as yours, just a bit lighter and it is some sort of red. I've seen nicer copies that are more "red", but I think they all started the same color.

B607 said:
That's a '41 DX. You can tell it's a '41 by the tank. The '40 girls tank was huge. The Delta light is a "front loader" and is correct for prewar. The bike also has Lobdell flat top rims made of "special steel", which came out in '41. Probably chrome. I think they were one year only. A nice rider or good trading material. Congrats on your first prewar skip tooth. Gary

didnt schwinn change to the fish hook(forward facing) dropouts by '41?

beatcad said:
B607 said:
That's a '41 DX. You can tell it's a '41 by the tank. The '40 girls tank was huge. The Delta light is a "front loader" and is correct for prewar. The bike also has Lobdell flat top rims made of "special steel", which came out in '41. Probably chrome. I think they were one year only. A nice rider or good trading material. Congrats on your first prewar skip tooth. Gary

didnt schwinn change to the fish hook(forward facing) dropouts by '41?

Schwinn's lightweight line was sporting the forward dropouts by this time but their ballooners held out until after the war.

Jpromo said:
Schwinn's lightweight line was sporting the forward dropouts by this time but their ballooners held out until after the war.

that makes sence. i had a '47 DX w/ forward dropouts.

yoothgeye said:
Glad y'all got the answers 'cause I got nothin'... but the bike.

This link seems to be a decent source of info. Check out the ID Facts for info on the changes to the bikes over the years. Also check out the serial number charts.

My understanding is that serial numbers can be tracked post the '48 factory fire. Prior to that, you pretty much have to look at the characteristics of the bike.

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101 ... odes1.html

Terry66 said:
This link seems to be a decent source of info. Check out the ID Facts for info on the changes to the bikes over the years. Also check out the serial number charts.

My understanding is that serial numbers can be tracked post the '48 factory fire. Prior to that, you pretty much have to look at the characteristics of the bike.

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101 ... odes1.html

That link kept popping up in my searches (wish it was somewhere other than an old Angelfire homepage) but the problem I see is that all these Schwinn ID sites concentrate on the mens bikes, which I totally understand since I've never gotten excited over a ladies bike before, but it would be nice to have them as part of the compiled info.

Your bike is a model D37XE-1. That is if it has an 18" frame. They also offered 16" and 20" in that model. The "E" stands for equiped, which would be the tank and light. The "-1" is for 1941. I have a '41 catalog and the D37XE-1 pictured is exactly like your bike. I'll scan the page and post it if you want. I have no idea on the color name except to say I tend to agree that it's possibly a faded out red.Gary

I'll scan the page and post it if you want. I have no idea on the color name except to say I tend to agree that it's possibly a faded out red.Gary

Please do scan it in! More great info.

Pulled tank today, color is consistent inside, it has to have been some brown and cream color combo.

Earlier this fall I bought a late 40's DX. It appears to be about the same color as yours. Here's a picture of it.

91e3f823e9135e2705935edd7d35b0a0.jpg

I thought the color was really weird also. I took it apart to replace the fork and I noticed there is some overspray on the stem that is a fairly obvious red color. I never would have thought it was possible but I think it could possibly be a very, very faded red color.

From the color choices, looks like yours was a red or maroon.

I let a 4th grade girl ride it in the Christmas parade yesterday with no incidents, she had no idea what she was riding. haha

Back