My first rat rod build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i've been into bikes almost my whole life. I just turned 30 by the way. After years of being away from the bike scene and focusing on cars i've decided to start messin' with bikes again. I just picked up this Executive Super De Luxe bike and plan on painting it semi-flat black with red rims. After sleeping last night hearing Ram Jam in my head for some unknown reason, I plan on naming her "Black Betty", lol.
0626120852.jpg

So I got a little work done today. I've got the fork sanded, primed, and painted. I'm still working on the frame. It's taking longer than I expected. It's time consuming getting into all the nooks and crannies, lol. I also have the wheels disassembled. One rim is almost ready for primer.
0702121033.jpg

0702121215.jpg

0702121021.jpg

0702121020.jpg

So I have the frame done. I didn't realize the fork was bent. The bottom bearing race isn't sitting flat. I think I might just get a new springer for it.

Nice work, for future reference oven cleaner will loosen paint if left on for about 20-30 minutes so you can wire brush it right off. Makes it a lot easier than sanding by hand.

outskirtscustoms said:
Nice work, for future reference oven cleaner will loosen paint if left on for about 20-30 minutes so you can wire brush it right off. Makes it a lot easier than sanding by hand.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of repainting the chain guard black to match the rest. I just think it's a little too much red.

totzel1982 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Ok. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of repainting the chain guard black to match the rest. I just think it's a little too much red.

I agree too much red, maybe two tone it and just spray the upper portion of it black?

outskirtscustoms said:
totzel1982 said:
outskirtscustoms said:

I agree too much red, maybe two tone it and just spray the upper portion of it black?
That's a good idea. I think I might try some photoshopping first before I start stripping anything. I'm thinking of maybe doing the handlebars in black also.

OH!... Rambler in the background. I like Ramblers.

a white wall slick on the back would look good on this bike.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
OH!... Rambler in the background. I like Ramblers.

a white wall slick on the back would look good on this bike.
That's what I plan on doing when I have the money. I also wanna run a skinny white wall in front.

The Rambler in the background is my dads. It's a 1967 with around 22,000 original miles.

Back