My First Tandem, a Columbia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally found a decent deal on the local craigslist. I rode my bike to the guy's house, an older gentleman. He was impressed that I had ridden my bike over, and offered to help me bring the tandem home on top of his cherokee. I had planned on just towing it home but I couldn't turn down the ride, especially because the wheels on the tandem were a little frozen. We threw the bike I had ridden over in the back and brought the tandem back to my place. I took these pics before I very awkwardly brought the bike downstairs to my basement storage space. Not sure what I am going to do with it, but i like the 70's style :)

2617590859_cd544c07a9_b.jpg

2617591155_44a3b8f942_b.jpg

2617591485_7b9146d066_b.jpg

Anyone know what the big hub is for? Some kind of drum brake? The bike is a 5-speed with a derailler.

2618415166_4f4487814d_b.jpg

Having never done anything with a Tandem before, can anyone tell me anything specifically to watch out for?

I'd kill for a drum brake on my Columbia Twosome, it's pretty tricky to stop at cruising speed. On the other hand, the coaster brake allows you to carve some breathtaking power slides in loose terrain (especially for the stoker if you don't warn her in advance...) I added a modern fork with v-brake bosses to mine to ensure that we make it home alive. She's currently in dry-dock awaiting her rebirth as a BMX-flavored tandem, but I'm not sure if I want to un-ghetto the tri-color paint scheme or not.

Pushing the material limits of the work stand:

tandem01.jpg

What brand is the Drum Brake? Atom's can fetch some money. Then you can put a rim brake on it. Even after tweaking the innards, that brake doesnt stop, just drags.

I have an exact replica of that bike! I'm in the Portland, Oregon area. Did you sell it or do you still have it? I got mine at a garage sale and it was pretty trashed. I rebuilt it and it is in perfect shape now - new spokes, drum brake and all. I guessed it was a 60's or 70's model. Your post confirms my estimate. It really is a hoot to ride. Hope yours is still making you smile! :lol:

Latest posts

Back