Western Flyer X-53 resurrection

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know that this is a build so much as me picking away at what was once a beautiful bike in an effort to make it less tragic.

I posted this in Fresh Finds not long ago:
IMG_2011.JPG

After a couple of hours removing half of Wal-Mart's bike accessories aisle and wiping down with a dry rag, it looked a little less ridiculous:
IMG_2055.JPG

Partly because I learned that the X-53 is a sought-after collectible, but mostly because it's just so darn cool, I wanted to try to remove the horrible pool-liner-blue paint and uncover whatever was left of the original paint, which should have been black and red for 1953. But after several fruitless sessions with Goof-Off and oven cleaner, it became clear that I would need a Plan B. It was then that I stumbled upon a picture of a 1953 Western Flyer X-53 GIRLS model:
IMG_5674girls.JPG

(not mine, borrowed without permission from the CABE)

I decided that maybe the colors weren't bad after all, just the previous owner's Earl Scheib approach to painting. Maybe I could get this thing to look ok (weathered, but ok) without resorting to spray bomb paint crimes. So I set to work:
IMG_2388.JPG

I kinda like where this is going. And the horn even works!
IMG_2389.JPG

After enlisting the help of a friend who has grinding tools and chemical strippers and other implements of destruction, this is where I'm at:
IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

It may be time for some of my special homebrew decal templates.

X53 is such a killer frame, it's hard to go wrong. I absolutely love the rack integrated into the frame with those additional tubes. It looks awesome already with just the cleanup, blue paint job looks a lot better with the original graphics showing on the tank

Latest posts

Back