My First Try...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I go at my first build...I working on a Spaceliner that I've had hanging from my rafters for years. I wasn't sure at first if I wanted to do a full restore or a "chop". But I think I've decided to do a Rat/Boardtracker...First thing I did was to mock-up this seat post:
IMG_1025.jpg

As you can see, It's 3/4" copper tubing. Then I did the 'ole handle bar flip:
IMG_1023-1.jpg

Then today I fabbed up this seat post:
IMG_1030.jpg

I made it out of 3/4" rigid tubing. Which by the way, I found out is actually too big for the frame tube... :? So I had to enlarge the frame and just about got the tool stuck! :oops:
So this is where I'm right now:
IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

I guess what comes next is a tear-down for maintenance, bearings and such. And score some new wheels/tires/pedals...And a springer! :mrgreen: I hope you'll stay tuned!
Here is my latest mock-up:
IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

I'm not sure what to make the tank out of...Suggestions? I'd like it to removable...And I think I'll make it a little smaller...

sweet start.

its too bad the copper tube wasn't strong enough to sit on, i like the look of the first seat post alittle more than the second.

that being said, both look good.

Ya' know...I really do to! It's still early in the build, and if I can think of anyway to duplicate that look I will...Maybe cutting a piece of rigid tubing and welding them together to make a "90"...?

i love the rat look of the copper 90, but that clean bend on the 2nd seat post keeps with the curved lines of the bike. both are cool

Here is my latest mock-up:
IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

I'm not sure what to make the tank out of...Suggestions? I'd like it to removable...And I think I'll make it a little smaller...

I like what you've got going here so far... But my honest opinion is that the tank would fit better if it were smaller and more curved/smooth, to work with the light lines of the SpaceLiner. But I could be wrong. Can't wait to see what else you do with this!

JoeyMac said:
I like what you've got going here so far... But my honest opinion is that the tank would fit better if it were smaller and more curved/smooth, to work with the light lines of the SpaceLiner. But I could be wrong. Can't wait to see what else you do with this!

+1

674inn.jpg

I don't know what to say..."Great Minds Think Alike"...? After some input from the wife...I came up with this mod to my tank mock-up:
IMG_1037.jpg

ThenI log on and see the photoshopped suggestion from Speed2xs. Thanks pal! :mrgreen:
But what shall I fab it out of...?

huffy one piece cranks from the 80s-90s work great for seat posts
one i did for my kids....
just weld some tubing(the stock seat post works great)on them as a shim
seatpost002.jpg

what wasnt used....
seatpost003.jpg

dude i am totaly going to try copper pipe reinforced w/ something its total rat look. i like your mock up,im realy into spaceliners cant wait to see what you come up with

bikeriderx said:
fiberglass? you know the fiberglass method?

Jedidave: Good luck! Let us know how it works!
stretch: No. I don't know the fiberglass method. Enligten me! :mrgreen:

:lol: alright. im suprised no one knows this except me. i bet im younger than you and less skilled. ANYway.. i digress...

pretty much, you make whatever shape you want outta that foam(i take it thats foam) and cover it in bondo to make it hard. sand it, prime and paint with gloss paint. doesnt matter the color, as long as its shiney. then coat it with wax. this helps in removal of the final product.

then get fiberglass mat, and polyurethane resin. you put some fiber glass mat down, cut in the shape of whatever you making, and slather resin over it. cover the buck(the foam tank) in layers of mat and resin till you think its thick enough. then it should pop off. if not.. then i dont know. :? this is a good mothod for making more than one, but if you only want one, you can, it'll be a lot of work, and probably trial and error.

if you think its too complicated, you could probably just get away with soaking the foam in the same resin, letting it harden, shape and cover in bondo, sand and paint. its up to you.

Back