my gravity bike...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ive mentioned my gravity bikes before here, here is a pic of the one i ride now..
specs, 110 psi max odyssey tires, thick walled tubes, double wrapped rims, tiapan velocity deep/double walled aero 36 hole rims, crupi hubs w/ cartriddge bearings, full 20"mongoose frame, vbrakes reare, vbrake front via v-brake adaptor, horseshoe handlebars, inverted mtb stime, seat post is 1/8" walled metal tubing i had bent at a machine shop -then i primed painted black - plugged and padded, waiting to wrap the almost finished "seat" twenty pounds of barbells bolted on, aluminimum knee trays with grip tape cut outs, odyssey pegs on the back, pegs on the front, i groung out the front drop outs enought to fit in drop out protectors that are typically found on the rear axl of bmx bikes to make sure that once seated the wheel does not move inside the fork, niiiiice bike, wicked fast!
mygbikefeb0813.jpg

mygbikefeb0823.jpg

mygbikefeb0833.jpg

only thing ta make it look faster IMO is a yoshimura sticker on that seat since it looks like an muffler anyway !!!

looks slick FE !!!

rs3muffler.gif

i would imagin this bike would be faster, it has more weight, better wheels, and better hubs, we'll see this summer! if the bike i sold did 63.7 then im hoping this one will get over 65 on the same road. im also hoping to aquire a small camera and my own gps so that i can film the road w/ the gps mph display in frame, suuhhweett!!

i have some exhaust pipe wrap to wrap the seat in, just havent done it yet, cant think of a good way to keep in there. since it does look like a muffler i figured if give it a lil flare!

fast eddie outty

65 !!! thats insane !!! im not sayin you have bigger kiwis than me, just heavier.

hope your dressin for the crash, ive seen baaaddd stuff at lower speeds

i wear a full faced motorcyle DOT approved helmet, leahter gloves w/ kevlar knuckles, and a full-body leather racing suit that zips together in the middle with armour in the shoulders, for arms, elbows and knees. even with that i knocked myself out in a crash at a california race, that was a bad weekend, crashed in qualifying, crashed and was eliminated in my first heat. sheeesh! these things are wicked fun, dangerous, but wicked fun! im thinking id like to have a board tracker lookin gravity bike, maybe use a 24" frame so that im not so far off the ground...maybe!
fast eddieoutty

if you were to enter a sacntioned race the igsa would require 20" wheels, but if your not gonna go that route, then make it outta whatever you wanna! hard cornering at 50+mph is gonna get "iffy" on a 26" wheel, i think the bigger the wheel the less stabe when a horizontal load is place on them. im working toward someday doin a gravity drag race here in kc, if its a straight line drag then the bigger more narrow road tires would probably do better, they'd be slower off the line than smaller wheels but if given distance the bigger wheel with the same weight load will be faster. build one man, you know you want to!
fast eddie outty

I have a hard time picturing how that seat would…well ‘anatomically’ fit the male body. :| :wink:

Cool sport though Eddy; never seen it before you joined this site…everything is downhill mountain bike racing in this town.

at first it probably looks like it would hurt, but its not actually a seat, it will hold a rider while your waitin at the start line, but the knee trays are what actually support your weight when riding, thats also how ya steer - when resting on your knees on the trays small twists of the hips transfer weight and the knee trays act like levers to lean the bike one way or the other, that way i dont have to deviate much from my tuck, the "seat" just keeps me in the proper tuck position and most importantly keeps my male anotomical parts off the rear wheel! this is built as this bike will get, i have some cool plans for the next one, and trying my hand at rat rodding over the past year has given me some new skills and new ideas!
fast eddie outty

COOL!!! I wondered what the gravity thing was. Since weight is a factor, do you fill parts of the frame with sand or shot?

The bike just sits there and says, "I dare you!"
I'm glad that I'm old and fat, cause it wouldn't take much to bring me into your clique! The seat is killer and yes, it does need a Yoshimura sticker or wrap it in red and give it a "Cherry Bomb" look! I keep looking at the bike and .... well I gotta stop cause it's making me think that I gotta bui ..... CAN'T! Hey they gotta girls class? Naw Gigs would never do it .... or .... would she?

I know that like any sport, it's only as expensive as you wanna make it , but what's a good price range to expect to pay for building a competitive bike?

Thanks!
Chainsaw

i have 50 pounds of birdshot waitin for my next g-bike project, and 2 awesome frames to choose from.

a competitive could be built for around 200 bucks provided you went the "rat route" and got an existing bike to start from. ive been beaten soundly by alot "less" bike! i only have once or twice a year i can go to the mountains and get to those speeds, and those are not race situations. at the sanctioned races i just get smoked cuz i dont have the skills and familiarity with the courses that the guys who live there and ride all the time have. but its still wicked fun! tight turns in excess of 50 with a guy on another one of these right next to ya is scarey!

fast eddie outty

My "palms" are getting sweaty just looking at it! That thing frightens me!

Back