TRADITIONAL Iron & Oxygen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too much exciting went down this past weekend. Pulled in too many directions and learning (the hard way of course) the inherent dangers of working on a project in two different places. Started a little assembly only to realize I forgot my fork 20 miles away. After making the roundtrip to retrieve them I then went to put the tank on yesterday (Sunday) and realized the screws were also 20 miles away ...
Oh well ... I did get this placebo horn button and worked on aging it a bit ... Can't have any shiny chrome on this build.
View attachment 269922
I also realized my truss rods were a tad too long and needed minor hole elongation.
View attachment 269923
View attachment 269924View attachment 269925
I know what you mean about keeping bike parts in 2 different locations. I've got my main workspace at home, but most of my parts are stored over 30 miles away! On top of that, if I need to use my dad's sandblaster, bandsaw, beltsander or vice, I also need to drive about the same distance from home! I can't tell you how many times I've driven over 40 minutes one way to work on something at Dad's shop, only to forget the one thing I needed back at home.

I know what you mean about keeping bike parts in 2 different locations. I've got my main workspace at home, but most of my parts are stored over 30 miles away! On top of that, if I need to use my dad's sandblaster, bandsaw, beltsander or vice, I also need to drive about the same distance from home! I can't tell you how many times I've driven over 40 minutes one way to work on something at Dad's shop, only to forget the one thing I needed back at home.
That's a long trip but time spent with your dad is pretty priceless.

Hahaha I think it's terrible when I'm working in the garage, and the tool I want is ALLLLL THE WAAAAAY IN THE BASEMENT!
c638b5b4-4c03-4099-aa32-9c7fc844075c_text.gif

Momentary workshop status: Pile of parts in the garden shed with some tools (15 min walk, 7 by bike, one way), screws and races in the basement (5 stories down), big parts stash on the campground (2h roundtrip by car)... :crazy: :headbang:

Almost a rideable bike again for the first time in who knows how many decades.
2d9cb85b-0de9-4a37-aa99-f856b060957e.jpg

I was able to get quite a bit done last night 6/18 with the house to myself. I'm hoping to get this together tonight so I can ride it Thursday evening in our weekly Classic and Custom ride. I have to tear the rear Morrow hub back down as there is a great amount of slip between drive and braking. I've read up on it a great deal and feel confident.
I'm still deciding on putting on the rear rack and a Delta torpedo light in matching patina. I bought the light for this build but once I found the fenders, it was not drilled for a light.
I have a 1950s era Troxel to run on it for now while I refresh the original seat to this bike.
9bff400f-311f-40ea-b5a3-f3e4c9a2a721.jpg

7c240e80-16d7-440f-8a56-165880e89b38.jpg

Really dig the look of this! Your RaTina wotk on matching the original patina is spot on.

Kudos! 👌

First photo as a rider. Rode it around the block tonight. Beat a torrential downpour by two minutes.
Should be rideable for our vintage cruise tomorrow night (about 5 miles)
Things that need fixing.
1. Chain is either too long or too short to center the wheel in the fender. I can't stand the way that looks. May temporarily find a longer bolt and an aesthetically pleasing shim to move the fender back in the chainstays towards the wheel.
2. Chain probably needs replacing. $60 for an unseen, untested skiptooth chain off eBay ... Call me hesitant and skeptical.
3. Seat springs squeak like an old brass bed.
4. Decisions to be made on installing the rear rack and a Delta Torpedo light.
IMG20240619221317.jpg

Looking awesome.
I'm not that big a fan of racks, but yes to the patina matching torpedo light.
Have fun on the ride!

Looking awesome.
I'm not that big a fan of racks, but yes to the patina matching torpedo light.
Have fun on the ride!
Thanks! Everybody sure likes things their own way ... I guess that's part of what makes it a fun hobby. My buddy Dan who I hang out with on Wednesdays loves racks and lights but nothing more. My buddy Curt likes all the bells and whistles ... I tend to like a more sporty look. I do like the idea of the front light ... we'll see :)

So, here's a dilemma that is really bugging me. I despise the way the wheel is framed by the rear fender.
I am open to solution ideas.
So far I have tried:
1. Taking a link out - that makes the chain shorter by an inch ... that's too much
2. Shimming the rear fender mounting tab in the chain stays - didn't work. The tab is too thin and bends easily - I'm afraid that it could break.
3. I tried adding a .08" thick piece of aluminum to the backside of the mounting tab to give it strength and then tried the shim. Pretty much the same result as attempt #2 but jest started to stress beyond the end of the support shim.
IMG20240621082010.jpg

For me, aesthetically, this is spoiling all the hard work I have done so far.
IMG20240621082048.jpg

Originally, this bike had a 26T Sweetheart chainring. I replaced it with a 24T from a women's '39 DX for ease of pedaling.
I did that same thing to my 1950 Hornet with an 11 tooth on the rear and it made all the difference in the world as far as pedaling ease on old knees.
I hate to switch it back, but maybe that change in geometry is enough that it moves the wheel forward?
I realize the entire thing is a mathematical geometrical equation ... I'm hoping to find a solution to.
Maybe some of you have experienced and solved this riddle?

Latest posts

Back