My gray bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a cheap schwinn knock off for sure.
old ross,huffy,rapido's, use that style of crimped on drop outs (welded on the inside only)

rapido's also use push in end caps on the smallest tubes(just hollow pipes where you have those spikes). the better quality knock offs seem to have a somewhat closed tube.
IMG_1355.jpg

and schwinn being solid/closed off completely.

icyuod2 said:
its a cheap schwinn knock off for sure.
It's already been established that it is a Huffy.
You know how cheap the frame was?
It was free.
What are you a Schwinn schnob?
I hope you get a flat tire for calling my bike "cheap". :x

well somebody forgot to put the seat back on thier seat post. :)

my favorite bike was also built from a cheap schwinn knock off.(rapido) i love it, but it doesn't change the fact it was a cheap schwinn knock off. ie, low quality steel,poor welds etc etc.

i wasn't bashin ya bike.
btw how do ya know its a huffy. i could list at least 10 companies that use a letter/date code, the same number of digits stamped in the same place.
i didnt think huffy used those little metal end caps, hense the reason for my post.
that being said, i could be wrong.

Y'all got me wonderin', so I ventured down to the basement to check out the two Huffy's I have. Both 'Good Vibrations' models, probably from the early 80s. They both have the semi-closed ends like in that pic a few comments back. But who knows? Yours could be older or newer, or an alien repli-frame from the Planet Zortron! :lol: ~Adam

:lol: I like the "alien repli-frame from the Planet Zortron" theory.
I'll go with that. :lol:

icyuod2 said:
but it doesn't change the fact it was a cheap schwinn knock off. ie, low quality steel,poor welds etc etc.

i wasn't bashin ya bike.
Whatever, dude. :roll:
I really don't care what company may have built it.
It's solid and straight.
It was a rust-pile when I got it.
Lord knows how long it languished before I got it and it had a whole nuther life before that.
I've ridden it hard for several years with no structural issues.

"Spikes"?
Oh yeah...there's no guns in Canada. :lol:

i love your bike, its fantastic! honestly, i didn't mean for you to take offence. my home is riddled with cheap schwinn knock offs and i love em all.

sure i own a schwinn. does that make me a bad guy.(67 stingray)
IMG_0878.jpg

i just didn't think it was a huffy, and was trying to help you get to the bottom of this mystery. when i said it was a cheap schwinn knock off, i was just trying to save myself some typing (ie listing all the clone companies of that era.) heck we have 5 or so up hear that you've probably never heard of.

that being said, they all have slight variations. i pointed out a couple that lead me to believe your bike was not a huffy. (the absence of screw holes for the badge, might have also given that away-i'm really not sure) we dont see many huffy's up here, but i have come across a few.

you wanna stick a huffy badge on it and call it a huffy, thats your business. do what ya like and be proud.its a great bike no matter who made it. :)

btw we have lots of guns up here in canada, we just try alittle harder to keep em out of the hands of criminals. thats all
besides, they make much better gussets, than conversation pieces.
Rapido-Ritto-Dillinger002.jpg

i keep forgetting, you guys in the u.s. dont have a sence of humour :) :p :) (thats a joke-see smileys)
great bike dude!

Thanks...I think.
There's smileys on my post too.
I don't own a gun, but I do own a Schwinn.

I prefer the word "inexpensive" over cheap, persoanlly.
Doesn't seem as negative.

The grey kolor is nice. I have an old bike to put together and have been trying to come up with a kolor and I think I've found it. Thanx for the post. 8)

Back