My Iver Johnson Track Bike Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Well I put off my Barn Find Boardtracker project that I had in the buildoff because I wanted something to enjoy the rest of the summer and beginning of fall with that I could actually ride distances with. I picked up this bike about 2 years ago from a local old guy who flips bikes on the local CL. It was in decent older shape with an off road rear tire, but it rode straight and had some cool steel lugging-it had potential. So I messed around with it, built some other bikes, and finally brought it out and tore it down. I cut off all the cable guides, welded in the brake holes, and ground the front fork ends to look asthetically better, and ground down the rear dropouts for a more streamlined and lighter look.
I bought a pair of DP 18 Deep V wheels off ebay laced to a Nexus 4 speed, delaced them both, and took them and the frame to the powdercoaters. They custom coated the rims a "Roman Bronze" color and the frame "Antique White." I wanted something traditional looking without looking like some hipster bike. I then found some Soma Major Taylor bars and wrapped electrical tape for grips. I then took some random skip tooth sproket that I had laying around, indexed it to the stock 3 piece cranks, drilled out the holes, and mounted it. I also cut down every other tooth on the stock rear cog, and presto, done. I still need to go down and get some really cool distressed leather down at the local fabric shop to match the wheels and also make some grip strips out of, but thats about it. Oh yeah the stock shifter is now mounted on the seat tube, and the "suicide" brake is the lever on the other side. Thats about it....enjoy, I know I am every night when I go ride!!!! :D
bville09001.jpg

bville09.jpg

iverjohnson001.jpg

iverjohnson003.jpg

iverjohnson008.jpg

iverjohnson009.jpg

excellent!

I am building a similar bike from a wwII BFG road frame. I found track wheels with brown rims, just gotta figure how to get the 3/8" axle in the 5/16" fork slot. Am doing the same thing as you did, running a skiptooth.

Nice job. I see you used the chainring off of a Hiawatha and customized to fit the cranks.

cman said:
Nice job. I see you used the chainring off of a Hiawatha and customized to fit the cranks.

Thanks everyone for the compliments..yeah it lined up perfectly with the stock crank, so I just indexed it to be centered, drilled the bolt holes, and cut the center out with my plasma..it lightened it up too! I bought it and 4 others for $3.00 and just had it lying around, I was super glad I had it thats for sure.

Yes my seat clamp is backwards..it sorta hides the clamp and the bolt for a cleaner look, plus I had to flip it around to slam the seat all the way forward..I'm not that tall and had a hard time trying to reach the bars :lol:

I also have a perfect original Iver Johnson brass headbadge that I cleaned up and polished that I still need to mount on there..its kinda cool the lugging is notched perfectly for it, so its almost like it was made for the badge! I need some tiny headbadge screws (3), does anyone have some that I could buy..no hardware stores around here have anything that small!!!

Try a place that sells eye glasses. They have little kits that have alot of different sizes in them and they are cheap.

looks great i always wondered why more road guys dont do bikes like this. super clean well done. i dig the rear hub deal turning it skiplink. i was one of the first guys to do that a few years ago with the lucky 7 boardtracker and it works well. i would not recomend doing it with a front as i found out it does not work so well and the sprocket will move slightly back and forth when going from forwards to back for the brake. well done

Thanks! Yeah I had a REALLY cool NOS rear sprocket that I was going to use, but it wasn't possible to try and adapt it to the hub, so I just traced the arch in between the teeth so I could get the correct radius so it wouldn't kink the chain. I actually need to re gear the rear, for I can't even use third or fourth gear because its waaay too tall! I had to laugh, there was a "rodie" all decked out in spandex shorts and jersey with an expensive bike all decked out in carbon trying to keep up with me for 2 miles, and I could hear him consistantly upshifting and downshifting for some hills and on the flats and breathing really heavily, and I was stuck in 2nd gear! Almost like that oldies song "Beep Beep" :lol:

Back