My latest find, and obsession..........

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough and incomplete, but lots of potential. I believe it's about a 1920 Columbia Westfield. At least that's what the seller felt it was.

001-24.jpg

002-13.jpg

003-14.jpg

004-10.jpg

nice score! yeah it is rusty and rough but lots of potential(reminds me i should finish mine sometime :lol: )
if you want to donate the chain ring id love to hang it in my garage......

Jeez, dropouts held in by screws! Great bike though, good luck building it back up!

Those "coffin" sprockets are sweet hopefully that can be bent back straight, the fork will be easier.

socal_jack said:
Those "coffin" sprockets are sweet hopefully that can be bent back straight, the fork will be easier.

I thought the same thing, but the ring only took about 20 minutes of heat, a couple blocks of wood, and a big hammer. The fork was a different story. Still not content with it. see below.....

Worked on her some today.....
The ring straightened nicely. A little blueing from the heat, but nothing that won't rust back.
The fork, I need advice on. I've never worked on anything this old before. Evidently, the original handlebars tighten differently than with a bolt/wedge? It appreared there was a stationary plug in the tube that a bolt went both through the top for the handlebars, and also a stud hung down through the bottom for mounting a fender?? Anyway, the fork head tube was bent, cracked, and water froze swollen. Did a little surgery. Still not completely satisfied with her. Not even sure how to decribe this, but here goes. I welded a replacement tube in, square with the base of the head stock. Problem is, the fork arms are still kicked back a little. Very semitrical, and appears to look "correct". My questions is this.... On older bikes, did front forks ever kickback a little from the plane of the head tube??

Thanks for your interest.
Regards,
Jules

009-8.jpg

002-14.jpg

005-8.jpg

007-11.jpg

Here she is mocked up with some junk wheels, and a possible handlebar setup.

012-4.jpg

lookin really good jules. can you get that stem down any farther though? what size wheels are you usin? the look like wooden 28s, but that could just be rusty 26s!!!

Easy E

elvis51 said:
lookin really good jules. can you get that stem down any farther though? what size wheels are you usin? the look like wooden 28s, but that could just be rusty 26s!!!

Stem just sitting in there loosely. Will drop final bars in lower. Maybe going to use some really nasty rusted beach cruiser style bars I have. They seem to work.....

Wheels rusty ole 26" rims.

I see white rubber in it's future.

deorman said:
I'm not sure, but I suspect the "stationary plug" you refer to is simply a matter of conglomeration by rust. As far as the legs, that puppy is plain old bent.

I tend to agree with you on both counts. What throws me is, it had a 1/4" stud hanging down between the legs, and it was "caged" in with nearly a 1/2" of vertical play in it, but I was unable to remove it.

I'll have to figure out a way to pull the legs forward. Amazing how much effort one will go to to keep a rusty patina-ed fork...... :?

looks like you didnt straighten the steer tube before cutting and splicing it........
have you got an old bumper jack or a monkey on a stick? you can get most of the bend out with those

The coffin sprocket is made by Westfield, and used into the 40s. I have a 41ish Elgin with one as well as a 28" Motobike with it. Good chance it's a Westfield frame also, hard to tell on those early frames though! ~Adam

Im glad you got a hold of this project!someone with the right tools and patience.I dont know if I would have tackled that haha.The steerer tube looks great its just the legs that need a little more straightening.And I think that bike takes 28'' rims?

bikejunkie said:
Im glad you got a hold of this project!someone with the right tools and patience.I dont know if I would have tackled that haha.The steerer tube looks great its just the legs that need a little more straightening.And I think that bike takes 28'' rims?

Right tools - yes. Patience - No. :? Otherwise, I would of straightened the legs before I replaced the head stem. Looking forward to working on it some more though. Secured tires yesterday. A seat, pedals, grips, and a good ole rusty handlebar stem is about all I need.

I would of thought 28's too, but I read somewhere on the net it had 27's ??? Anyway, it's getting 26's for now.

Regards,
Jules

sensor said:
looks like you didnt straighten the steer tube before cutting and splicing it........
have you got an old bumper jack or a monkey on a stick? you can get most of the bend out with those

Ok, I'll bite. What's a "monkey on a stick"?....... :? :)

Back