My most authentic looking patinafication yet!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tank to replace the long gone peice on one of my Schwinns, so I bought a green repop off ebay and decided to see if I could make it match the rest of the bike. I am happy with the results and it looks as close to naturally aged rust as I've been able to accomplish.
I started by stripping the tank with aircraft stripper, and applying a thin even coat of Almond colored spray paint. After it dried, I sanded most of the white off in the areas it was going to be black and I came back and masked it off and painted the black. This left basically 1 thin layer of paint on it. I then sanded the whole tank with 2000# grit sandpaper until I had numerous very, very thin spots of paint, though not many places were down to the metal. This allowed the rusr to creep through what was left of the paint much like it did to weathered factory paint. I then bought a repro "Schwinn" decal, banged it up a little, and used some green and red food coloring in the water to tint it. Even after doing this, the decal didn't darken as much as I hoped, so I lightly sanded it with the 2000# grit and applied Old English furniture polish and it looked as better than I could imagined. After getting the decal right, I mixed up a vinegar and salt mixture in a spray bottle and kept spraying it and letting air dry for weeks. When the look I wanted, I wiped the decal too hard trying to get some of the Old English residue and I tore some of it off, but it actually looks just like a decal on my Columbia that is torn off, so it was a mistake that worked OK. \

Here's pics as the it went along:

IMG00550-20130106-1224tank_zpsdf85efdf.jpg

This was after I sanded it with 2000# grit. You can see some very thin spots in white.

IMG00558-20130112-1506_zps45ac25c0.jpg

This was after I sprayed it a few times with the vinegar and salt mixture and before I put the Old English on the decal.

And here is the final result. It maych the rest of the bike very well, and doesn't appear to a new repro tank. I did a little work on the chaingaurd as well. I need to get a pair of truss rods and a correct seat, and I'll call this one done!

IMG00772-20130611-1758_zpsdc172bce.jpg

IMG00773-20130611-1759_zps359090e2.jpg

IMG00776-20130611-1801_zpsae4901c5.jpg

Re: My most authentic looking patinaification yet!

Good job! Third pic from the bottom looks like a perfect match to the frame. Gary

Holy Cats!

That's great!

8)

Impressive to say the least 8) ....looks like it was sitting in a barn for many decades. :D

I have done some similar things in the past . . not with bicycles though. So I'm pleased with your results . . great job!

Thanks! I have tried other techiniques, but I found this time around that getting the paint as thin as possible is the key.

I do something similar. I get the paint nice and thin and then use rubbing compound. It makes it easy to shape the wear how you feel it should look. Especially when it's on a rag. You can almost use it like a marker, except instead of color it puts out patina. I also use a wet rag with black spray paint on it to darken colors and get some age into those scratches.

That looks great!

Just a little update - this bike has been sitting in my building for the last nearly 5 years, and the patina and dust have continued to add to the affect.

I pulled it out and snapped a few shots. It's hard to believe it is fauxtina! -lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 186
Back