my nepthew's getting a speeder bike for xmas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my nethew tyler is a star wars freak. (3years old) he plays star wars lego (actual lego but the vid game also) loves to run around in his clone trooper halloween costume, and always has one or two star wars lego action figures in his pocket.

figured the kid needed a star wars ride, so i got to thinking. i had a green machine as a kid (rear axle steering- big wheel) and figured it would be the prefect style of trike to build a speeder bike.
IMG_2919.jpg

now i went about this all wrong, and built the body long before i actually got my hands on some tricycle parts. it doesn't turn quite as sharp as i would have liked. he wont be able to ride it in the house, but it does turn well. just not real tight like i imagened. i surpose this is good cause now he'll be less likely to throw himself off it. :)

the 2 hickory axe handles are connected to either side of the rear axle with a couple 1/4" steel rods . ya pull one handle back and push the other forward to turn the speeder bike. the axle follows suit (one sides pulled forward, the other side pushed back.
IMG_2920_2.jpg

used parts from a $25 schwinn tricycle to get this thing rolling.

i'm still not finished, but i'm waiting for paint to dry.
the speeder sports a rotating blaster cannon
IMG_2926.jpg

wireless speedo
IMG_2927.jpg

leather seat
IMG_2930.jpg

and the flaps on the back raise/lower as the axle turns.
IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

the kids gonna love it.
gotta pick up a couple leather dog leases to strap the pouch on the back behind the seat.
got alot of painting to finish also.

so is anybody else making xmas gifts? i'd love to see em.

Will you be my uncle? I'm 48 years old, almost potty trained, I very seldom pick my nose anymore and I like cool gifts! I'm 5'11" and around 230 lbs. so you might have to build mine a little sturdier. Because of this, I'm willing to wait for my Xmas gift until New Years Eve. Please have it ready by then. I look forward to coming over for Christmas and spending it with my new uncle! 8) Can we have s'mores also? If my little cousin is there with his Speeder Bike can I ride his until mine is finished?
Great job on the Speeder Bike!
Chainy

can you build me a Princess Leia? pleeeaase???

that is flippin sweet!

i loved the speeders when i was a kid, sure to bring a smile :D unfortunatley i bought all my presents already this year

THATS THE COOLEST STAR WARS PRESENT EVER.... HE'S GOING TO BE A HAPPY KID ON X-MAS DAY..

hey, if/when i figure out how to make a princess leia, i'm making 4 or 5 for myself :)

Rat Rod said:
Just found a pic of Chainy... your new nephew. :lol:

ewok.jpg
hahahaha!!!!

I dont watch nor really like starwars.. but i know what the lego sets looked like, that looks just like a speeder bike! Its awesome!

Oh and i want some princess laylas.. ....

well my camera made it home from mexico. heres some finish pic's of the project.
IMG_3642-1-1.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

gave it some deer hide grips and a funky 5 led fake car alarm light (leds light up 1 at a time and role back and forth like the red light on the night rider car.)
IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646-1.jpg

finished detailing all the paint
IMG_3651-2.jpg

i'm not sure whats tided to the back of the speeders in the movie. perhaps bedding?
anyhoo, mine sports a leather map of the bunker in return of the jedi. i also cut out some leather x's and triangles so my nephew can plot his imperial takeover. :)
IMG_3652-1.jpg

IMG_3653-2.jpg

i sure hope he has as much fun with it as i had building it. :)

Back